The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up 2 juvenile ancistrus sp. "Wabenmuster" from Eric Thomas (aka Bekateen- a moderator on Planet Catfish) at his lab at the University of the Pacific. I had seen these gorgeous ancistrus species at a Sacramento Aquarium Society Auction and finally was able to get a couple juveniles from him about 7 months ago. I only bought 2 because they were pricey for an ancistrus species-- $35.00 each. At the time were much too small to determine sex.
This was what 1 of the fish looked like as was acclimating it to my 30 gallon tank. Really beautiful with a honeycomb pattern.

I kept the pair in this tank until about a month ago when I shut this 30 gallon down. I then added them to my 180 gallon, not thinking in terms of them breeding, just a temporary space until get another tank ready for them to go into. I have about 12 pleco caves in the 180 stacked on top of one another because I had also got about 8 regular bristle-nose juveniles when I got these guys in hopes of breeding them when matured.

I first noticed that my albino bristlenose was sitting on a clutch of eggs and was super happy that I finally had some breeding activity Then, I noticed one of the Wabermuster nervously darting in and out of a cave because I was getting too close. I shined a light in but couldn't see anything because the male stayed in cave when it determined I was going to pick up the cave. I lifted the cave and could finally see a mess of fry at the very back of the cave. It was very exciting!
I will try to get a video tomorrow of parent and fry to share. Not sure this batch will survive in this tank with geophagus, discus, and altum angels; but, at least I now know I have a male and female who are interested in breeding. :)

Here is a bit about this ancistrus species from Planet Catfish. I also am including a link of Bekateen's spawn of this catfish. This is the same group I got this pair from.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, bad news, this brood wasnt from a Wabenmuser, unfortunately. The guy was only in with the little ones because I had my hand in the tank and he went for the tube to hide. When I took this tube out later from the 180 and put into a 10 gallon tank, there was a male ( common) bristlenose pleco. (sigh).

Any one want a pleco? Or 20? :/

·
Registered
782 Posts
Okay, bad news, this brood wasnt from a Wabenmuser, unfortunately. The guy was only in with the little ones because I had my hand in the tank and he went for the tube to hide. When I took this tube out later from the 180 and put into a 10 gallon tank, there was a male ( common) bristlenose pleco. (sigh).

Any one want a pleco? Or 20? :/

Aaw, that's a bit of a bummer.

If I lived about 3 hours further north, I'd happily come take a couple off your hands though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.