The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I went to my friends house and we were playing ping pong and I noticed a 29g tank. He said there used to be a goldfish in it 2 years ago. And he said I can have for free. But the water has been sitting there for 2 years and it looks nasty. He said everything works fine. There is a white film on the top and spiders in it. I'm not sure if the white stuff is bacteria or minerals. So the question: do I take it or will it cause problems?

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you're up to cleaning it, I'd say take it. Empty it out, and scrub it really good. Fill it up with some water and put some bleach in, let it sit overnight, then scrub it good again, rinse it well, and you ought to be ok. Hopefully that 2 year old dead goldfish's remains aren't still floating around in there lol...Yuck, that thing must stink, sitting there like that for 2 years! I'm surprised there's still water in it.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Take it and just clean it really well. Use bleach, rinse really well, use white vinegar and a razor if necessary to clean away hard water deposits, rinse really well, use salt to give it a scrub, rinse really well, let it dry and VOILA- the tank should be completely sterile and look like new.

I'd scrap any media that might be in the filter and get all new there, though.

Keep in mind the tank itself is actually the cheapest part of any new setup... LOL

·
Registered
316 Posts
After cleaning it up nice, I would also plan on getting a new filter. Most tanks are under filtered and I wouldn't trust an old filter that has sat that long.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yeah, old filters usually end up with lots of problems or they're a huge disgusting pain to clean. If it's not a really expensive nice one (I'm guessing it's the one that came with the tank, since it was just goldfish), I'd toss it.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
sounds like a deal. Wear long rubber gloves, goggles, and a face mask, maybe a hazmat suit as well to clean this tank.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Check the seals to make sure they are still in good condition as well. If they are not, the repair is super easy.

GE window silicone (I forget the type, someone please jump in). I've resealed a good two dozen tanks (including two 180g's about four years ago) that are still good to this day. Much cheaper than buying "aquarium silicone".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts