The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to keep riccia anchored ? I 've been tying it down with fishing thread, and it grows into a big beautiful ball ... then the whole thing dislodges. Like the fishing line cuts through the ball over time. I can only enjoy the big ball for 1 week before it all comes loose.

should I use something else not so sharp like cotton / nylon thread ?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Careful with the hairnets, I lost 3 curious barbs in them.
You will need to trim the riccia so that what is tied down can still get light otherwise it dies, and the rest floats up.
There was a post of someone using a shower scrub that they opened, covered the riccia on a rock with it, and then, zip tied the underneath to make sure nothing got caught. I haven't tried it myself, but it looked like a great idea.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Riccia Grab? As far as I know Riccia fluitan does not attach to anything. I is not naturally submerged. It is a floating or emersed plant. Aquarists put it under water and it survived, not nature.

If the fishline didn't work I would try some type of netting. How much fishing line are you using? 1 week seems really fast for it to becoming dislodged. It grows fast but I didn't think it grew that fast...

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
ja

no anchoring for this annoying plant,

the dwarfs ones are the ones you need to watch for, lefted one floating around and my outflow blasted it into little peices, it was snowing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the shower scrub idea ... I have a overflow that sucks off the excess, with ramshorn snails imprisoned within it ... they eat the little peices of vegetation that's sucked off the top.

so i think what im hearing is I need to keep it trimmed back because if the 'stems' loose light it will weaken and eventually break at the anchor points where the string grabs it. Im a victim of my own success because the riccia is allowed to get too big .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nylon shower scrubs rock !! they are stretchy and hold a clump in a nice tube formation. White is barely visible and should disappear as it grows out. I'll check back in 3 weeks to give update.

thanks taz.

·
Registered
89 Posts
tutu for youyou

Get some tulle at a fabric store (think ballerina tutus and bridal veils), spread out the riccia over a flat rock. Place an oversized piece of tulle on it, turn it over, and rubber band the tulle to the rock with a small rubber band. Trim with scissors. Cheap, works great, takes a long time to come loose (don't do it over tight, snug but not super tight), and it is easy to redo. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.