The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anacharis seems pretty common at the local fish stores, and I read it was fairly decent for medium light.

I am new to planted tanks, and was wondering if this would be a good backgound plant for me to start with?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Cant go wrong with Anarachis, Java Ferns, and Java Moss for beginners. Keep it simple, low light, aerate the water, and dose a capfull of a comprehensive supplement like API leaf zone, Flourish or something like it and you should be golden. About 6 hours of light per day should be more than suffecient. Its a really easy plant, they perk up with a really brilliant green with almost no babysitting.

·
Registered
397 Posts
There are a few other varieties of "anacharis" avaliable. In particular, egeria najas is the second most common. It is very easy as well, never kept the normal "anacharis" so I don't know if it is as easy as Egeria densa.

It can be grown rooted or floating, although, it doesn't actually float very well. More like "sinking."

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys, I got my substrate done and just letting the final cloudiness get out of the water with my new Fluval 405 filter that is acting in conjunction with the Penguin HOB biowheel that has been in use for several years.

I installed my new Coralife 130watt CF light that I will actually turn on when the plants go in. I hope to get the anacharis tommorrow and plant it.

I will then be trying to figure out a good foreground plant and perhaps a small patch of little carpet type plant if I can find one for moderate light.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've tried anacharis a few times (mostly because it's the only true aquatic plant our stupid PetSmartCo sells...) and it looks great for a while and then starts melting after a couple of weeks. The stems get mushy and soft and the leaves fall off. I've had this happen in three different tanks (one with flourite), all low/med light, all dosed with FloraPride once a month and Flourish comprehensive once a week. I don't use CO2 or Excel, but I've never read that it was necessary with Anacharis.

I like the look of it, and my shrimp seem to love it (maybe because it's decaying and turning into food), but I just haven't had any luck at all with it. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts