The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 120 gallon planted tank that I have been working on over the last couple months. I have been transitioning it from fake to live plants.

My latest improvement was the lights. I went from 2 reef bright led lights to a 216 watt t5 setup with 2 6500k daylight 1 actinic and 1 pink plant light.

My first plants that I put into this tank were some anubias and some anacharis. The anubias are doing just fine but the anacharis, I'm not so sure about.

I'm wondering if anyone has much experience with anacharis and what they do to make it thrive. I was told it is a fast growing plant and relatively undemanding.

My water conditions are less than ideal for plants because I have relatively hard water. I'm not sure how hard it is because I just ordered a gh kh test kit, but the ph sits at about 7.5 after using peat moss extract in my fx5 and having several pieces of malaysian driftwood in the tank.

My substrate is small grained gravel and seachem flourish tabs. I dose with flourish excel daily and API leaf zone weekly.

Overall, I'm seeing some growth over the past couple months but the new growth is thinner and smaller overall and the leaves have stayed much smaller than the original plants. I guess what I'm just wondering is, is it my water conditions or substrate or is this just mainly a pond plant? Some information on your experiences with it and what it likes and doesn't like would be very helpful. I'm really wanting to have a fully planted tank.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You're going to want to google "anacharis an flourish excel". They don't get along.

Also dosing excel in a tank that size must be crazy expensive. You might as well go lowtech or fully invest in CO2

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
You're going to want to google "anacharis an flourish excel". They don't get along.

Also dosing excel in a tank that size must be crazy expensive. You might as well go lowtech or fully invest in CO2

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I agree exactly with Aben314. When I was reading this you said you were having trouble with anacharis my first thought was you were using excel. I've never used Seachem Excel but from everything I've read like Aben314 said they don't get along. Also as Aben314 stated on 120g dosing excel has to be expensive. To me I would go the low tech route because you have anubias and anacharis which you don't need CO2 to thrive. But if you don't go the low tech route you should invest in a CO2 setup. It would be a better investment than dosing with Excel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, the instructions on the excel say to dose 1 ml for every 10 gallons daily and I'm doing that, I have a 2 liter bottle so it should last a while. I can't afford a c02 setup, and I'm not confident in my skills for a DIY setup. I have a couple of sword plants(amazon and ozelot) and a wisteria plant in there as well. I feel ok pulling out the anacharis if its not going to thrive because at this point I'm a bigger fan of my other plants and as far as I know excel is good for them. In a 120 gal is 12ml really enough to help plant growth or do I need to increase it?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Anacharis

Hello AM...

Ancharis does best in my planted tanks if I float it close to the light instead of planting it in the substrate. I use pretty simple lighting, just two 28 watt, T5s. Nothing special and the plant does well with just the ferts the fish produce and a little diluted liquid dosed a couple of times a week.

B

·
Registered
588 Posts
If Excel is causing the Anacharis to melt you can slowly build up it's tolerance to it. Maybe do 1/2 dose or dose every other day. I did that I now don't have any problems doing full dose.

Also, instead of using Excel you can use Metracide. Here's one thread about it: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104038&highlight=glut. Or search the forum for it for even more info. It's same thing as Excel but in higher strength and a whole lot cheaper.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
With the plants you have, I would definitely go low tech. I have pretty much the same plants, and I never dose any ferts or Excel. I have low light.....1 x 17 watt t8 bulb over my 29 gallon. My anacharis grows like mad, two stems approaching 2 feet long!

I have also read that Excel and anacharis = no good. Don't over think it. Just stick to low tech and you'll be fine. Once your plants acclimate, they will really start thriving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts