The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tank with no CO2 added, and just last weekend switched to flourite. I have er...HAD a lot of little java fern in there, but 2 weeks ago I bought some Anacharis and since then, the java ferns have been turning brown and dying. I read that Anacharis out competes algae for nutrients. Is this thing killing my other plants?

They're growing very fast...

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Anacharis is a fast grower and great for starting new tanks because it does indeed suck a lot of nutrients out of the water. If you're not using CO2 or fertilizer, than what little was there from your tapwater/fish/fishfood is quickly being used up by the Anacharis and the slower growing java ferns don't have a chance to get any.

You have a couple options - either add more ferts or take out the Anacharis. A good all-around fertilizer like Seachem Flourish coupled with a liquid CO2 alternative like Seachem Flourish Excel would do good. The only thing to consider when using Excel Vs. gas CO2 is that it will occasionally cause fine-membrained plants like Anacharis to melt. A DIY CO2 system isn't too tough to put together and might be something for you to consider in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since my original post, I've taken out the anacharis, removed everything that was turning brown and added DIY CO2. Most of the ferns are growing pretty fast now, although I've had to remove some leaves today because they were turning brown. It was partially buried in the Flourite, but I've unburried it. All of the plantlets that died before adding flourite/CO2 and removing the anacharis were floating freely though. So I dunno...I figure the deaths were due to multiple factors.

Everything has actually been growing since I've added CO2. I love it :icon_smil I was, until now, avoiding the use of it because I seemed complicated with all these reactors and diffusers, etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.