The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

A while ago I set up a 10 G tank in the coldest room of my house. It didn't work out. The heater could not keep it warm enought to beguin with and then we had a 12 hour power outage. Nearly all the plants melted, including Anabus nana and bobitus fern on driftwood (I had no critters in it due to its location, was hoping plants could tough it out). I've moved the tank to work and have it set up. The Bolbitis did not melt untill it was moved to the normal warmth tank.

Will these two come back from a melt? Or are they a lost cause and should I remove the tubers from the wood and start over? Its been avout 3 weeks and I still have not seen any re-growth. Some of the anubus tubor is turning brown (dead I asume) but some is still green and there seems to be new roots from many parts, just no leaves....

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
You should remove the anubias rhizomes and cut off all the bad stuff. It might come back for you. I have no experience with the bolbitis.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bolbitis doesn't grow really good in warm temperature. How much the water temperature there? :) Water movement and CO2 can improve the growth too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that your Bolbitus? Thats _awsome_!!
*green with envy*

I do know they do beter with water movement. I have a few in my 33G with a few powerheads and they seem to love it. Not sure how to get good movement in the shrimp tank tho, I dont want a powerhead chopen up the little guys.

·
Registered
88 Posts
yup, that was mine (sold out already). :smile: The plant size was enough to fit 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank. I put them in my 800G outdoor tank without any co2 and liquid fert. Water change is about two days non stop every one or two week(s).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news

Good news! The Bobitus is showing some little tiny new leaves growing!
I guess I just wasen't quite patient enough.

The Anabus on the other hand...still not looking good. Pulled it out today and followed your advice, pulling off all the brown stuff. It was indeed dead and rotting. Theres only one small CM and half piece thats still firm and green. Still no sign of new leaves. Hope it comes back. Or I'll try and propagate some from my other tank...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I bought two huge anubias barteri plants at the LFS recently and they were rotting as well. They were literally losing 1-2 leaves/day, until no leaves were left (originally 10+ leaves of 4-6" diameter on each plant). It definately wasn't a lighting issue, so maybe its shock? Or, perhaps they're commercially grown emersed and this is normal until they grow the submersed leaves??
You're not alone on this. It's rather irritating to see a nice plant turn to crap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts