The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most recent FTS:

Last weekend I happened across a Facebook Marketplace listing selling a 35" rimless aquarium for $50, so naturally, I had to check it out. Turns out it was an old 90P that had been painted all over, had sump holes drilled, and looks like had been left semi-filled for years. So I bought it, cleaned it up and scraped the paint off, and made a simple stand with some 2x4s.

I have no clue what I'm gonna scape it to be, but I'll be using all the equipment from my 20G long setup, plus some extra aquasoil. I may turn the 20G into a sump, might not. We'll see.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Damn, that's a great find! Did you see any scratches at all? It would have been cool to use the drilled holes for plumbing and make it a clear tank on top.

I remembered I followed your tanks years ago, glad to see that you're back :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn, that's a great find! Did you see any scratches at all? It would have been cool to use the drilled holes for plumbing and make it a clear tank on top.

I remembered I followed your tanks years ago, glad to see that you're back <a href="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:)</a>
There's a few scratches and chips but they're hardly noticeable. Based on how many pint layers I had to remove and the condition of the bottom holes, I'd guess the tank is ~10 years old, which means it's probably an ADA, so well worth the scratches for the price.

And yeah! Not too many of us still around from back then, it's crazy how things have changed.

Nice find! That looks awesome. I like what you did with the scape. Cool light stand as well. You gonna keep the pipe elbows white or paint them grey to match the rods and the light sits on and the stand?
Jury's still out on these PVC arms- they're not even cemented in and still have the return labels. I'm thinking of switching them out for aluminum ones.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a little 2 month update:

A bit annoying that UG is hardly growing after a month but eh. Have had a bit of a struggle with staghorn and just regular green algae, I'm gonna turn down the brightness from 100%R 80%G 90%B to 70%R 50%G 60%B and see if that helps.
Also, the back left and right behind the wood is completely empty (like a square-foot-worth of area), save for a few rare ludwigias and echinodorus I'm growing out. Thinking of maybe getting some Hygrophila corymbosa or 53B but I'm not sure yet. If anyone has any suggestions I'd happily listen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would go with some Syngonanthus macrocaulon. I think it is a beautiful plant with a different texture than the one you already have. I've never grown it, but I suspect it grows slower than most stems, so it won't be make your maintenance routine harder.

Tank is looking really nice. I really like the hardscape.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Awesome Bserve! ... looks fantastic!
and a very nice story too...

I love the idea for the light frame...
could you please share the list of plants you used and the amount. It definitely differs from hardscape to hardscape..But want to use it as a base line.

I am setting up my tank.. so "borrowing" some learning!
thanks in advance...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Scape feels kind heavy, maybe something like eleocharis montevidensis or helanthium bolivianum to make it feel a little "lighter"?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
The helanthium tenellum took a while to acclimate, now it's starting to grow better. I used to have more eleocharis, but now I just have it here and there. (great minds think alike)

I would go with some Syngonanthus macrocaulon. I think it is a beautiful plant with a different texture than the one you already have. I've never grown it, but I suspect it grows slower than most stems, so it won't be make your maintenance routine harder.

Tank is looking really nice. I really like the hardscape.
I like the different texture, but it's major $$$. I'm considering getting som ranunculus inundatus for some variety, but the jury's still out on where it's available.

Awesome Bserve! ... looks fantastic!
and a very nice story too...

I love the idea for the light frame...
could you please share the list of plants you used and the amount. It definitely differs from hardscape to hardscape..But want to use it as a base line.

I am setting up my tank.. so "borrowing" some learning!
thanks in advance...
Starting amounts don't really matter so much as you cover as much surface area as possible when you start up a tank. The current plants are:

Rotala colorata
Rotala h'ra
Rotala sp green
Ludwigia sp white
Utricularia graminifolia
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Hydrocotyle vivipara
Blyxa japonica
Blyxa aubertii
Helanthium tenellum
Eleocharis vivipara
Fissidens fontanus