The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't remember if I ever posted up about my fish room so figured I would. Earlier this summer, I had considered building a fish building on my property, but with the economy as unstable as it is, i have decided to revamp my fishroom instead. These pictures will serve as my "before" shots and I will update it as I work on it further.

Here is the "main" wall of tanks. Its mostly 75s on the bottom, 55s in the middle, and 20 longs on top wiht a few random extra tanks thrown in for good measure. You can also sort of see my rack of 20 longs and the 230g.

Here is the view of where I do my shipping (long black lab counter on the left) and another set of my original racks on the right.

The view facing out from near the shipping station:

This half of hte room needs to be redone desperately. I am going to be adding two more rows of racks.

I am also going to redo all my airline. Right now, I just have draining ports (the pvc visible at the bottom of the room) in half the room as well. That will be finished to have a port for draining tanks at every rack. I also may seal the floor though that is not a priority. As you can also see, I have some "creative" lighting. Eventually I will have tidier lights as well, lol. Regardless, its a decent space that just needs to be tidied up to look better.

I use a central air pump to power the filters. All the lights are on a central timer. I have both light boxes (outlets) and power outlets every 4' in the fishroom at the ceiling line.

We use a UV and sediment filter on our water as it comes into the house as well.

Hope you enjoy our little peek into my chaos!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I would imagine with the basement setup it's a little easier to control the environment. I free standing building would need a lot more energy to control.
I'm sure hauling boxes up and down the stairs can get old though. lol

Can't tell from the pics, how big is the room 20' x 24" or so?

And the recliner, is that your chair or the chair were your other half sits when he wants to talk to you? lol

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is MY chair and I won't give it up, lol. That is where I sit to think and admire all the fish.

The room is HUGE, I am using maybe half of it for fish tanks. I also have a spare "bedroom" on the other side of the steps where I store my empty tanks. I also have a storage area, about half the size of the fish room, where I store my shipping boxes, heat packs, extra shipping supplies, equipment, etc. I also have a huge upright freezer to store the cold packs and frozen fish foods.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I was going to say.... does the chair swivel? lol I agree with fresh on this one. During the summer and winter extreme times, heating and cooling an accessory building can be a chore, and expensive. I need to show this to my wife... Maybe she will let me have just one more tank in the house lol

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sure does swivel!

The reason I wanted it out of the house is the moisture. i actually already own an air exchanger and a greenhouse heater as well as two dehumidifiers.

The other reason I want it out of hte house is that I have three children. Often people come to the house to purchase things and I would like to not have to parade them through my personal home/space in order to do so.

The third reason is that I am in desperate need of a knee replacement. Its very difficult for me to navigate the stairs with full fish boxes or my shipments. I have a hand truck I use, but having it on the "ground floor" would make my life SO much easier and would enable me to get my knee replacement without having to totally neglect the fish room.

Regardless, it is what it is! Maybe a fish hut is in my future, but not yet!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
It sure does swivel!

The reason I wanted it out of the house is the moisture. i actually already own an air exchanger and a greenhouse heater as well as two dehumidifiers.

The other reason I want it out of hte house is that I have three children. Often people come to the house to purchase things and I would like to not have to parade them through my personal home/space in order to do so.

The third reason is that I am in desperate need of a knee replacement. Its very difficult for me to navigate the stairs with full fish boxes or my shipments. I have a hand truck I use, but having it on the "ground floor" would make my life SO much easier and would enable me to get my knee replacement without having to totally neglect the fish room.

Regardless, it is what it is! Maybe a fish hut is in my future, but not yet!
There are options that might help. If you find a designer (does not have to cost much) that knows their ins and outs of insulation methods you could get something that would work (especially in this time of green everything" You could look into ICF's (insulated concrete forms) or the use of spray foam insulation within a standard framed building would help cut down on heat loss and gain. Good windows with a low solar heat gain coefficient, potentially solar panels for electricity (not sure how many sunny days you guys have up there, might not be a good option if there is not enough sun each year, or tall trees near by) you could probably get something to work well, with a low operating cost.

I am allowed only two tanks, one nano and one medium sized tank in the house at any one time. I think if I show my wife your fish room, I may be able to get her to let me have one more tank? lol

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I love your fishroom. There were so many tanks to look through in the nooks and crannies. A nice tiered rack of 20 longs at the stairs would give you more gallonage. I think I have 3 more to give you if you want.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Franny! I need to get Chris cracking on making me new racks. What I am actually going to do is sort of make a walkway between the tanks and the stairs, in essence closing off the fishroom from the storage and laundry area. I plan on have 3 3 tiered racks, probably of 20s and 30s in this space. I WILL need more, but I have ot figure out what I have already. I love 20s and they are great for qt for most of the fish I bring in :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
extra electrical circuits? whay type of water change system? filtration?

Im working on a fishroom and trying to decide the best way to go about setting it up. Im currenty taking out a wall and rebuilding it with my 180g tank in it with a window into my man cave :)

Mine wont have as many tanks as you have ( only 15 or so ) but I want to make it as easy to enjoy as possible ( read : low maintenance, auto water change etc. ) Most of my tanks will be aquascaped and that will be enough work without added headaches.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
extra electrical circuits? whay type of water change system? filtration?

Im working on a fishroom and trying to decide the best way to go about setting it up. Im currenty taking out a wall and rebuilding it with my 180g tank in it with a window into my man cave :)

Mine wont have as many tanks as you have ( only 15 or so ) but I want to make it as easy to enjoy as possible ( read : low maintenance, auto water change etc. ) Most of my tanks will be aquascaped and that will be enough work without added headaches.
The fish room has its own panel entirely. Its just easier that way as my usage is so "high". Water changes are manual, though I have drain ports around the fish room so no buckets rae involved. I use a line from a power washer wiht a 3 way valve to refill.

Everyone is always trying to convince me to do auto-wc, but with the way I import, I figure spending a few hours every day staring into the tanks is the best way to monitor the fish, lol

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
yeah, I suppose thats different than the normal hobbyist. ( did I just call myself normal---with 15 fish tanks??? )

I only spend about 30 minutes a day in my fishroom and do a water change on Monday nights on a few tanks and once a month on others. Several hours a month. I would like to increas my 'watch and relax' time and reduce my 'work and sweat' time--if you know what I mean.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.