The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see some threads about no tech tanks, running a light... isn't that.... some tech?

So introducing the no-tech tank that sits on my window. I've done a few of these, with different jars and containers and natural window light actually works very well an can grow a myriad of plants, including some "high tech" ones

This is the only no-tech tank I've given a substrate- lousy potting soil with sand cap.

This one is lit for photographic purposes only...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
My apartment, frankly, doesn't have enough window space to safely house all my planted vases (current count: 13)--so my "no tech" includes a variety of lights in the different locations.

A shelf of the smaller ones has a dedicated LED light bar suspended from the shelf above to supplement the available natural light--but isn't enough on it's own to provide adequate lighting. One on my kitchen counter has a regular reading lamp with a high lumen bulb, and the two next to my living room chair benefit from a full spectrum light that was already there for some houseplants. Three live close enough to a window that there's no supplemental light at all and there's two out on the balcony who truly are NO-tech as they don't even benefit from the ac/heating that those indoors do.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in australia we have an unfiltered outdoors goldfish pond :3 but here in NY it's kind of cold for stuff like that (brrrr).

I only provide lighting for my other tanks. (30wpg the last time i calculated)

Imma gonna grow all kinds of algae soon!

My jars move around the house as I fancy:3 sometimes living off the stray light from my tanks, other times on the windows sill.

I'd love to see people's not tech/lowtech tanks btw, if you are willing to share :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yepp, I have a few tanks set up as no tech. No light, just a window, dirt, and a bunch of plants!

Sent from my phone, in the land of magical unicorns and rainbows!

·
Registered
472 Posts
hahaha. window sill = cat territory?
Everywhere = Cat territory! For a few months I had my brother living with me and he had a very large vintage goldfish bowl with a few plants and a betta in it... I was refilling it daily! They love the fishy water... I could only imagine what would happen if I had shrimp or something within paws' reach!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.