The Planted Tank Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
130 Gallon High Tech Under Construction
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Let me save you the frustration, DO NOT order that CO2 reactor. I made that mistake and returned it within a week. Whoever it was I was arguing with at NilocG admitted it cant handle the 4bps I was running through it for a 60 gallon. My question to him was why isnt that fact spelled out in the product listing?
You are going to need a lot more than 4bps for your 130 gallon.

A better option is a tall Griggs reactor or a Cerges made with a 20" water filter housing.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
There's lots of experience building reactors on here, and I'm sure many of us would be happy to geek out on a reactor build with you (me included!).

Thanks for the heads up! I had been looking at doing a DIY reactor with the 20" filter housings. That or doing a DIY one from PVC and acrylic tube (for visuals, could use PVC tube) that would function like the 20" filter housing style reactor would. The only point to the DIY one over just buying a filter housing would be to save money.....

Would a single 20" filter housing be enough to dissolve the CO2 needed? Or will I need to run several chained together? CO2 injection is new to me so I don't have a good enough reference frame to design one based on "that look about right" designing :LOL:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Some pictures of the Dantums I got. Hard to get all 6 in one shot. Pretty happy with them so far. I had been hoping for more red in their eyes but maybe that will come as they mature. Even if it doesn't they definitely look healthy and have great apatites, they are promising for only being quarter-half dollar sized. Most have pretty strong vertical bars and they already have some streamers developing off their tails.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I had been looking at doing a DIY reactor with the 20" filter housings. That or doing a DIY one from PVC and acrylic tube (for visuals, could use PVC tube) that would function like the 20" filter housing style reactor would. The only point to the DIY one over just buying a filter housing would be to save money.....

Would a single 20" filter housing be enough to dissolve the CO2 needed? Or will I need to run several chained together? CO2 injection is new to me so I don't have a good enough reference frame to design one based on "that look about right" designing :LOL:
You shouldn't have to chain multiple housings for a tank this size. A single 20" should do it. I use 20" housings (2.5" cartridge style) on a couple 70ish gallon tanks and am nowhere near their capacity. You could go with a 4.5" cartridge style to be safe. In my experience, you'll get the highest efficiency and lowest noise with an overpowered pump and some back pressure. Your DC pump and valve on the output of the reactor should do the trick nicely.

·
Premium Member
5,586 Posts
Some pictures of the Dantums I got. Hard to get all 6 in one shot. Pretty happy with them so far. I had been hoping for more red in their eyes but maybe that will come as they mature. Even if it doesn't they definitely look healthy and have great apatites, they are promising for only being quarter-half dollar sized. Most have pretty strong vertical bars and they already have some streamers developing off their tails.

View attachment 1029004

View attachment 1029000 View attachment 1029001
View attachment 1029002
View attachment 1029003
Great stock!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
You shouldn't have to chain multiple housings for a tank this size. A single 20" should do it. I use 20" housings (2.5" cartridge style) on a couple 70ish gallon tanks and am nowhere near their capacity. You could go with a 4.5" cartridge style to be safe. In my experience, you'll get the highest efficiency and lowest noise with an overpowered pump and some back pressure. Your DC pump and valve on the output of the reactor should do the trick nicely.
Are you running the CO2 injected into the inflow so that is flows down through a center pipe and then up and through some baffles or foam of some kind?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Are you running the CO2 injected into the inflow so that is flows down through a center pipe and then up and through some baffles or foam of some kind?
The co2 is injected into the inflow so that the infused water enters the top of the housing. Water escapes the housing through an opening in a pipe or tube at the bottom of the housing. So, the center pipe is for the exit, not the entry.

If the housing is sized to purpose, there's no reason to put any sponges or baffles in it. They will just add to your maintenance burden and make the co2 more variable than it needs to be. Here's a pic of one of these reactors (sits in sump on main return line):

This has a bypass and a back-pressure valve. You won't need a bypass with a dedicated loop and a variable-speed DC pump. If you wanted to put your reactor on your filtration loop with a booster pump, you would want a bypass. That's how I'm doing it (on the filtration loop with booster pump) on my other tank:

There's lots of variation in how folks build/implement reactors. This is just how I've done it. Lots of other approaches could work just as well, I'm sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
If I could recommend another reactor type that hasn't been mentioned yet - Ken Keating's Variable Velocity Reactor - CO2 Variable Velocity Reactor
Very neat design....My only concern here is its size, this will be a show piece tank that sits in my living room and there is a strong desire to contain all the equipment within the stand. Its a tall stand but the max height would be something like ~40" give or take a few since im not home to measure exactly. Would a reactor like this of that height dissolve enough CO2 for a densely planted aquarium?

Im thinking of creating my own reactor design that has a means of mechanically (via baffling/grates) preventing the formation of large bubbles and increasing the overall dwell time between the CO2 and the water. Ill post some details on my idea in a bit.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I like the one on the right more then the left. The left looks like you are creating an underwater tree. A lot of folks like that look but when I go hiking I never see underwater trees. Branches tend to fall in one general direction (the direction of flow) with their branches spread out in that direction. The one on the right is closer to that look.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I like the one on the right more then the left. The left looks like you are creating an underwater tree. A lot of folks like that look but when I go hiking I never see underwater trees. Branches tend to fall in one general direction (the direction of flow) with their branches spread out in that direction. The one on the right is closer to that look.

Yeah I need to decide if im gonna do a diorama style and do that tree look or if I want more of a nature style and do the fallen branch look.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
Few minor updates just to let everyone know the project is still moving along. First off the "peninsula" has dropped off the title as I dont think ill do the peninsula style like I intended at first. This is due to wanting to use my living room for entertaining as we exit this Covid era and the peninsula set up would take too much room.

Enjoy the comedy of transporting three 55g drums with a Chevy Cruze:

Next I have determined that my floor will need reinforcement due to the floor joist direction and age of the house (built in 1951) so stay tuned for that adventure!

All the fish are healthy and growing well!

Finally I think that I will run dual Oase BioMaster 850 Thermo filters instead of a single Fluval FX6 and an aux loop. This gives me more bio media capacity and I really like the ease of cleaning the pre filters on the BioMaster filters and the built in heaters. The C02 injection will run in line with one or both of the BioMasters.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Good luck!! Lol my entire basement and every single beam in my house is being held up with reinforcement jacks. My house is from the 1800's 😂 It's not that bad. Hopefully your venture goes as smoothly as mine did.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Good luck!! Lol my entire basement and every single beam in my house is being held up with reinforcement jacks. My house is from the 1800's 😂 It's not that bad. Hopefully your venture goes as smoothly as mine did.
Yeah Im quite the DIY-er and have been renovating my house on my own. Not too worried about screwing in some cross beams and putting up 2 or 3 floor posts, but these things have a tendency to ALWAYS get more complicated so lets hope it goes smooth :LOL:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Fingers crossed for ya!! I was freaked out by the scale of it when I redid my house to accommodate a cichlid breeding/ aquarium set up and maintenance business and I'm getting estimates for trucks full of jacks and beams 😂 you've got more cojones than me 😂 I nearly had a heart attack.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Fingers crossed for ya!! I was freaked out by the scale of it when I redid my house to accommodate a cichlid breeding/ aquarium set up and maintenance business and I'm getting estimates for trucks full of jacks and beams 😂 you've got more cojones than me 😂 I nearly had a heart attack.
Well it helps that I have a 4' tall crawl space so I need shorter jacks and im just doing one tank, not a whole house 😂

Id imagine having it done would cost a pretty penny tho!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Well it helps that I have a 4' tall crawl space so I need shorter jacks and im just doing one tank, not a whole house 😂

Id imagine having it done would cost a pretty penny tho!
Required a homeowners loan 😉 but I made it back in 3 years and retired in about 10 so well worth the investment.... Plus my house hadn't been upgraded since they put electricity in 😂 plumbing the place cost the most. Lost my 2 person bathtub to that. Alas the plumbers couldn't replumb it back into a bathtub after it was used as a sump. I think it's more I'm just a fatalist and cant help but freak myself out over what can go wrong. That and I'm not that hands on.... My hubby handles that- I just tell him what I need done 😂

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Required a homeowners loan 😉 but I made it back in 3 years and retired in about 10 so well worth the investment.... Plus my house hadn't been upgraded since they put electricity in 😂 plumbing the place cost the most. Lost my 2 person bathtub to that. Alas the plumbers couldn't replumb it back into a bathtub after it was used as a sump. I think it's more I'm just a fatalist and cant help but freak myself out over what can go wrong. That and I'm not that hands on.... My hubby handles that- I just tell him what I need done 😂
Dang! You just bread cichlids to pay that all back?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Dang! You just bread cichlids to pay that all back?
I was part of a breeding program for cichlids and wood cats. Cichlids were for profit. I also set up and maintained aquariums for businesses. I had taken over the business from my mentor when he took off to breed for reintroduction. I propagated plants, too- that actually earns a pretty penny pretty quickly when you're growing to grow and not worrying about livestock 😉

61 - 80 of 80 Posts