The Planted Tank Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
130 Gallon High Tech Under Construction
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Actually, it is the opposite, Congos prefer an acidic environment to an alkaline one. But, they do well in a wide range. I have mine ( I have 4 different types of "congo tetras") in GH of 6. All do great.
That's what I thought. You see them so often in planted soft water tanks. I just didn't take a stand on it because I was finding varying info online and didn't know for sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well the first fish are on the way, I got 6 Dantum Angels from Discus Madness, I only plan to keep 4 but wanted to be able to get two pairs so I needed to order extra. I will re-home the 2 extra down the road. They will be going into a grow out tank for now while the 130 is in progress.

These Dantums are allegedly Altum X Scalare but they aren't all that common so ill keep everyone posted on how they develop.

Pic from discuss madness:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Zoning in on what I want to run for filtration. Im thinking that I will run an FX6. I will use glass or metal Lilly pipes and on the filter loop ill get the intake with surface skimmer. Nothing will be run in-line with the FX6. Then I have a 1200gph controllable DC pump that will run an auxiliary loop with a large Grigg CO2 reactor (that ill DIY or order from NilocG) as well as two DIY 300w inline Eheim Thermocontrol E heaters.

NilocG Grigg Reactor (might DIY this, probably cheaper): NilocG: NA Advanced CO2 Reactor for Aquariums | NilocG Aquatic Labs

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I think the Dantum are Peruvian altum X common scalare.
Peruvian altum are scalare sp.
They will develop good looking body shape if you keep up with frequent small feed everyday, with frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp.

I don't know if there is any case that the real altum cross with scalare.

If you want the real altum, have to wait a couple more month to get them, importers will have wild altums on their stock list after July.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Zoning in on what I want to run for filtration. Im thinking that I will run an FX6. I will use glass or metal Lilly pipes and on the filter loop ill get the intake with surface skimmer. Nothing will be run in-line with the FX6. Then I have a 1200gph controllable DC pump that will run an auxiliary loop with a large Grigg CO2 reactor (that ill DIY or order from NilocG) as well as two DIY 300w inline Eheim Thermocontrol E heaters.

NilocG Grigg Reactor (might DIY this, probably cheaper): NilocG: NA Advanced CO2 Reactor for Aquariums | NilocG Aquatic Labs
FX6 uses 1 inch tubes (or at least it wants to use 1 inch tubes). The biggest glass pipe you can find will be a 1 inch from green aqua. The biggest steel pipe is 5/8". The 1 inch glass pipe does not have a surface skimmer. I don't know if the extra flow potential from a fx6 over say an fx4 can be realized using 5/8 tubing. The fx4 also wants to use 1 inch tubes. This is instantly resolved if you use 2 sets of 5/8" pipes. Just something to consider.

Totally jealous about your fish choice. I wanted to altums but my ph runs 7-8.2 depending on the time of the year.

·
Premium Member
5,586 Posts
They will develop good looking body shape if you keep up with frequent small feed everyday, with frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp.

If you want the real altum, have to wait a couple more month to get them, importers will have wild altums on their stock list after July.
Im waiting. I want to get at least 4 more Altums. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wouldn't recommend adding such delicate fish such as Altum Angels to a non cycled tank, but you haven't even set up your tank (no scape, no water, no filter)? That's a really dangerous idea.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If you run an FX6, you'll need to step down the hose size for lily pipes. That filter uses a 7/8" hose, and the largest lily pipe you'll find is for 3/4". Greenaqua in Hungary makes a 1" Lily pipe, but they're not shipping outside the EU for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
I wouldn't recommend adding such delicate fish such as Altum Angels to a non cycled tank, but you haven't even set up your tank (no scape, no water, no filter)? That's a really dangerous idea.
I have a fully cycled grow out tank set up. The Dantum (not true altum) are tiny half dollar size at the moment and I wouldn't put them in the 130, even if it was set up, at that size. I got them now so I could grow them out for the next few months as I slowly set up the 130g. Ive been keeping fish for 7-8 years, I know better than throwing fish in a non cycled tank :sneaky:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)

Im waiting. I want to get at least 4 more Altums. :)

I would love real altum but I went with these dantums (whatever weird cross they may be) as they are a bit more hardy from my understanding and that is a big plus for me at the moment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
FX6 uses 1 inch tubes (or at least it wants to use 1 inch tubes). The biggest glass pipe you can find will be a 1 inch from green aqua. The biggest steel pipe is 5/8". The 1 inch glass pipe does not have a surface skimmer. I don't know if the extra flow potential from a fx6 over say an fx4 can be realized using 5/8 tubing. The fx4 also wants to use 1 inch tubes. This is instantly resolved if you use 2 sets of 5/8" pipes. Just something to consider.

Totally jealous about your fish choice. I wanted to altums but my ph runs 7-8.2 depending on the time of the year.
If you run an FX6, you'll need to step down the hose size for lily pipes. That filter uses a 7/8" hose, and the largest lily pipe you'll find is for 3/4". Greenaqua in Hungary makes a 1" Lily pipe, but they're not shipping outside the EU for the foreseeable future.

Hmm handnt even considered that they might not make 1" Lilly pipes. Ill have to either use 2 sets of pipes (I was considering that anyways) or use a different solution. In my opinion the stock intake and output are rather ugly so those are not an option.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Hmm handnt even considered that they might not make 1" Lilly pipes. Ill have to either use 2 sets of pipes (I was considering that anyways) or use a different solution. In my opinion the stock intake and output are rather ugly so those are not an option.
In your place, I would either do a sump or if the aesthetic reduction required for a sump is not an option, I would do two sets of steel pipes. I simply cannot stand glass pipes because they only look good when they are clean and they have to be taken apart to clean which basically means every week or two.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
In your place, I would either do a sump or if the aesthetic reduction required for a sump is not an option, I would do two sets of steel pipes. I simply cannot stand glass pipes because they only look good when they are clean and they have to be taken apart to clean which basically means every week or two.
Lol well if you read the first post I made you will see that sumps were an option but I kinda "un-did" that :LOL:

I will likely use two Lilly pipes, glass or steel. I haven't decided what kind since I plan on doing weekly maintenance it wouldn't be too hard to just run a brush through the glass Lilly pipes. Tho the steel look almost just as good and you dont need to be as on top of it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm using 2 lily pipes on my FX6. I used a wye fitting to split the 7/8" hose to 2 x 3/4", then a reducer on one to drop that down to 5/8". Overall flow through .750" + .625" is a little more than the flow through a 7/8" hose.

From there, I attached a 3/4" Lily Pipe to the 3/4" hose, and a 5/8" Violet pipe to the 5/8" hose. The lily pipe creates a surface ripple, and the violet pipe ensures I have flow across the carpet in the front of the tank.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I'm using 2 lily pipes on my FX6. I used a wye fitting to split the 7/8" hose to 2 x 3/4", then a reducer on one to drop that down to 5/8". Overall flow through .750" + .625" is a little more than the flow through a 7/8" hose.

From there, I attached a 3/4" Lily Pipe to the 3/4" hose, and a 5/8" Violet pipe to the 5/8" hose. The lily pipe creates a surface ripple, and the violet pipe ensures I have flow across the carpet in the front of the tank.
Ill probably run a total of 3 intakes and 3 outputs. Two sets for the FX6 and one set for the aux loop. This will also let me play with the flow patterns in the tank depending on how the scape turns out.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Ill probably run a total of 3 intakes and 3 outputs. Two sets for the FX6 and one set for the aux loop. This will also let me play with the flow patterns in the tank depending on how the scape turns out.
You should check through my journal. This is exactly what I did =)

The FX6 hosing is different now than the jhournal, but I haven't updated it yet.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Let me save you the frustration, DO NOT order that CO2 reactor. I made that mistake and returned it within a week. Whoever it was I was arguing with at NilocG admitted it cant handle the 4bps I was running through it for a 60 gallon. My question to him was why isnt that fact spelled out in the product listing?
You are going to need a lot more than 4bps for your 130 gallon.

A better option is a tall Griggs reactor or a Cerges made with a 20" water filter housing.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,586 Posts
I would love real altum but I went with these dantums (whatever weird cross they may be) as they are a bit more hardy from my understanding and that is a big plus for me at the moment.
Datums are beautiful! And that seller is very reputable. You should get some nice ones.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts