The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Instead of congos maybe diamond tetra? The only issue i can think with them is keeping them from getting nipped at by the angels and apisto, but if you're thickly planted it should be okay. I know they are "gray mouse" fish, but their shimmer is amazing in a planted tank when they're comfortable. I don't know if they'd be your thing or not but I've always loved having them and they are really underappreciated.

·
Registered
130 Gallon High Tech Under Construction
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Congo tetras are hard water too
The research I did said congos can tolerate 3-18 dGH, that is a pretty wide range. Water parameters aside im not set on congo tetras anyways. Im just looking for a bigger schooling fish to add more diversity so its not just the angels and a ton of small schoolers, something to be a secondary showcase fish if you will.

·
Registered
315 Posts
OP, you said this, " ended up deciding to go ahead and covert it over to a more traditional tank, mostly because I want this set up as a peninsula tank and its only 18" wide, so I wanted the most width out of it as possible"

Looks like a great project! X reef guy here too. Im curious about how a pennisula set up allows you to get the most width out of it as possible.

You didnt say what you had in mind for your aquascape, but since your tank is only 18" wide to get the most out of your width being able to plant along a 6 ft. back wall is the way to do it, isnt it? Otherwise you have 12 feet of foreground versus 6 ft. and a narrow section down the middle for taller plants.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OP, you said this, " ended up deciding to go ahead and covert it over to a more traditional tank, mostly because I want this set up as a peninsula tank and its only 18" wide, so I wanted the most width out of it as possible"

Looks like a great project! X reef guy here too. Im curious about how a pennisula set up allows you to get the most width out of it as possible.

You didnt say what you had in mind for your aquascape, but since your tank is only 18" wide to get the most out of your width being able to plant along a 6 ft. back wall is the way to do it, isnt it? Otherwise you have 12 feet of foreground versus 6 ft. and a narrow section down the middle for taller plants.

Ah, so the peninsula set up is not related to "getting more width out of it, the peninsula set up will just allow viewing from more sides. The scape will center around two "trees" placed along the center of the aquarium. so think of the background as a center line down the middle of the tank and then you have your fore ground along the whole outer edge of the tank. You will just have to stay tuned to see if I can pull it off lol.

Removing the overflows gets me "more width" since they occupy space within the tank, so removing them allows me to use that space. Additionally in a peninsula set up they would cause an ugly visual block.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ah, so the peninsula set up is not related to "getting more width out of it, the peninsula set up will just allow viewing from more sides. The scape will center around two "trees" placed along the center of the aquarium. so think of the background as a center line down the middle of the tank and then you have your fore ground along the whole outer edge of the tank. You will just have to stay tuned to see if I can pull it off lol.
Alright I understand, your width is my length. The reason I commented is I once built a reef down the middle if a 24" wide in- wall tank that was viewable in two rooms; it was tough. I look forward to seeing your project progress.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Small progress update....... This tank had a paint on background at one point and a bunch of crap was stuck all over the plastic rim. 320 grit sand paper and an orbital sander took care of that and gives the black rim a nice matte look in my opinion. It's not perfect but it's a lot better.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
What is your current thinking for filtration and lighting?
To start ill be running two Twinstar 900E Vr. III lights, if these prove to be inadequate ill either add two more or sell them and go to the Twinstar S series (or other comparable light). My lights get here today actually!

For filtration, because I removed the over flows, ill be running a canister and the current plan is a Fluval FX4. I've had good luck with their filters in the past and like the multi use extra pump output. It can be used to run a gravel vac or pump water out of the tank during a WC. I plan to run dual 300w inline heaters plumbed into the return of the filter, this gets the heaters out of the tank and visually that is nice. I haven't decided if I will split the return line in two and have two returns since the tank is so long, or just have a single return.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Looks like a fun project!

I didn't notice whether or not you're planning for co2 in my quick skim of the thread, but depending on where you want to take this in the future, you might consider the FX6.

I have the FX4 on a 75g with a co2 reactor, and I feel like I'm at the edge of its capacity. I'd like to plumb my UV in full time, for example, but I just don't have enough juice!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You're going to want way more than an FX4 for a 130g tank. I'm running an FX6 on my 125, and I still have a separate loop for my CO2 reactor and inline heater. I think an FX6 is a great filter, but I would run two of them if I were you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Looks like a fun project!

I didn't notice whether or not you're planning for co2 in my quick skim of the thread, but depending on where you want to take this in the future, you might consider the FX6.

I have the FX4 on a 75g with a co2 reactor, and I feel like I'm at the edge of its capacity. I'd like to plumb my UV in full time, for example, but I just don't have enough juice!
Yes I will run CO2! I plan to have a nice in tank glass diffuser as opposed to an in line because I think they just look neat. Tho this might be because high tech CO2 is new to me. I may quickly get tired of it and want an inline diffuser so having extra capacity for that is a good idea.

You're going to want way more than an FX4 for a 130g tank. I'm running an FX6 on my 125, and I still have a separate loop for my CO2 reactor and inline heater. I think an FX6 is a great filter, but I would run two of them if I were you.
Huh, thanks for the notes! I had been going off Fluval's statement that the FX4 was able to handle up to 250 gallons so I figured even with equipment in line I would be fine. Good to know that is not the case.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There are as many opinions on co2 implementation as there are people here, so take this for what it's worth, but I think with 130 gallons, a reactor will be the way to go versus an in-tank (or even an in-line) diffuser. The downside is that you need more pumping power for a reactor (hence my suggestion on sizing up your pump), but you also get way more efficient co2 infusion and no bubbles in the tank.

Once you put the throttle down with high light, I think nailing the co2 and flow are going get you further toward success than anything else.

As @jellopuddinpop pointed out, you could do this with two canisters. I'm torn on this myself because I think one FX6 probably has enough space for all the filtration you need, the pump may just not be big enough to power everything. Putting a booster pump in line is another option. But, there are so many ways to skin this cat...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
There are as many opinions on co2 implementation as there are people here, so take this for what it's worth, but I think with 130 gallons, a reactor will be the way to go versus an in-tank (or even an in-line) diffuser. The downside is that you need more pumping power for a reactor (hence my suggestion on sizing up your pump), but you also get way more efficient co2 infusion and no bubbles in the tank.

Once you put the throttle down with high light, I think nailing the co2 and flow are going get you further toward success than anything else.

As @jellopuddinpop pointed out, you could do this with two canisters. I'm torn on this myself because I think one FX6 probably has enough space for all the filtration you need, the pump may just not be big enough to power everything. Putting a booster pump in line is another option. But, there are so many ways to skin this cat...
Hmmm from a cost perspective I think running a single fx6 with nothing in line and then an axillary loop is the way to go. The aux loop could have the heaters and any reactors in line since it's doing no filtering. I already own a 1200gph variable DC pump from my previous reef escapades that I have to imagine would run an axillary loop just fine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hmmm from a cost perspective I think running a single fx6 with nothing in line and then an axillary loop is the way to go. The aux loop could have the heaters and any reactors in line since it's doing no filtering. I already own a 1200gph variable DC pump from my previous reef escapades that I have to imagine would run an axillary loop just fine.
Yep, that's one way to do it. I would prefer to have a single intake and outflow in the tank, but that's just personal preference.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If you check out my journal in my sig, you can see exactly how I did this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yep, that's one way to do it. I would prefer to have a single intake and outflow in the tank, but that's just personal preference.
Given the length of the tank I had been thinking about having multiple outflows anyways. Rather than a single outflow blasting away to get flow to the whole tank I had been thinking multiple outflows with slower overall water velocity would create a more even mellow flow distribution.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Bunch of stuff got here today. My twinstar lights look awesome and I'm really looking forward to seeing some plants under them. These lights will be involved in my first 3D printing use on this tank. Obviously the acrylic legs won't work for my style of tank. I will be removing them and making a hanging kit using 3D printed brackets and stainless cable.

I also got in 20lbs of dragon rock. This is my first time messing with this stuff and I can't wait to get some plants growing in the pockets in it.

Finally I'm also getting the grow out tank set up for the angels. I'm buying them small to save some money and since the tank probably won't be ready for a few months, I want to get them growing out in the mean time. (The twinstar won't stay on the grow out since all It will do is grow alge lol, I just put it there for fun.)

·
Premium Member
5,586 Posts
The research I did said congos can tolerate 3-18 dGH, that is a pretty wide range. Water parameters aside im not set on congo tetras anyways. Im just looking for a bigger schooling fish to add more diversity so its not just the angels and a ton of small schoolers, something to be a secondary showcase fish if you will.
Actually, it is the opposite, Congos prefer an acidic environment to an alkaline one. But, they do well in a wide range. I have mine ( I have 4 different types of "congo tetras") in GH of 6. All do great.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts