The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
130 Gallon High Tech Under Construction
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, thanks for checking out my build. This build is about setting up my first truly large tank and about coming back into fresh water after a few years in salt. I plan to use 3D printing where possible in this build since I run a small 3D printing business and have a passion for that. I also plan to use some tricks I learned in salt water, and my creativity as an engineer to do some fun stuff with this tank.

Some background: I used to keep a low tech tank a few years back and then jumped over to salt water. I had a 20g nano reef through college. I graduated 2 years back and recently purchased my first house. Finally having the space to expand I wanted to get up over the 100 gallon mark but I was ready for a change again and wanted to get back to freshwater. Finances dictated that I would need to find a used tank to get over 100 gallons.

Onto my first build update: I had a personal connection come through on a used 130g (72"x18"x23") tank and stand. Only problem was that it was a drilled reef ready tank with dual over flows. The tank and stand together was $400 and within an hour of my house. The stand was very nice and just needed cosmetic work. I decided I would take it and would either run a sump or convert the tank from a reef ready tank back into something more traditional. Here is the tank for the first time on the stand in my house:

I ended up deciding to go ahead and covert it over to a more traditional tank, mostly because I want this set up as a peninsula tank and its only 18" wide, so I wanted the most width out of it as possible. This means removing the over flows and blocking off the drilled holes (maybe, I may still use those, stay tuned). First was cutting away the plastic as much as possible:

Then because silicone does not stick to plastic as well as it does to glass you can flex the plastic and peal it off the glass:

And here is the over flow removed:

Next, to remove the silicone that was securing the over flows I scored it with a blade on either side of the main structural silicone so as not to disturb it, then taking a razor blade scraper you can remove the silicone from the glass, this takes some elbow grease to get all of it truly off. This also scratched the glass slightly, this used tank already has some scratches though and I plan to polish them out so ill hit these scratches as well. Here are pics from removing the silicone:

That discoloring you see is not the structural silicone it is the cosmetic black silicone from the over flows, it was discolored from the UV lights.

And here is the tank with the overflow removal compete:

I still have a lot to do before this tank will truly be set up. I mostly need to finish renovating my living room (ya know, minor things). Then its onto refurbishing the stand to make it look like a proper piece of furniture. The finally I can aquascape and set the tank up!

·
Banned
184 Posts
You could try 3D printing hardscape. It u can print in cement right? Or make a mold. You could just steal the 3D models for the ada fake hardscape that costs like 100$ for 5 rocks or something dumb and then make a mold or make it from concrete and paint it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice tank welcome to the forum. Any ideas of what you are doing?
Yeah I've been keeping fish for 7 or 8 years now both fresh and salt. I spent the last 4 years growing sps and other coral in a 20g reef. Before that I had a low tech planted. So high tech planted is new but fish keeping is not.....suppose I should have put that in my intro lol 😆

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I 3D print replacement guards for the ecotech mp series of power heads. They have a much finer mesh to prevent small fish and anemones (in salt water) from getting sucked in. For fresh water I haven't come up with a for sure thing to print yet but I'll definitely find things as I go and keep everyone updated!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Another salty 😁👍 I can completely understand why such a big undertaking in planted doesn't faze you lol sps are pretty touchy. Now I really can't wait to see what you come up with!!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I 3D print replacement guards for the ecotech mp series of power heads. They have a much finer mesh to prevent small fish and anemones (in salt water) from getting sucked in. For fresh water I haven't come up with a for sure thing to print yet but I'll definitely find things as I go and keep everyone updated!
Lol you might find yourself doing the same thing on the freshwater side as well as keeping shrimp and shrimplets out of intakes and powerheads is decent part of high tech planted as well 😆

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a link to where I sell some of my current 3D printed products

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another salty 😁👍 I can completely understand why such a big undertaking in planted doesn't faze you lol sps are pretty touchy. Now I really can't wait to see what you come up with!!
Yeah I mean it definitely doesn't scare me. It's a different set of challenges but I enjoy this stuff and I totally expect bumps in the road but it's part of the fun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Came up with a stocking list, but its still changing:

6x Angels
20x Hatchet Fish
20x Rummy Nose Tetras
20x Harlequin Rasboras
6x Congo Tetras
6x SAE
6x Corry Sterbai
Pair Apisto Double Red Cockatoo

This would be a pretty heavy stock so im thinking about maybe 4 angels and not 6 and then im not sure about the rasboras and congos, more from a personal interest in those fish kind of stand point. Im thinking alternatively:

4x Angels
20x Hatchet Fish
20x Rummy Nose Tetras
10x Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish -OR- Boesemani Rainbowfish
6x SAE
6x Corry Sterbai
Pair Apisto Double Red Cockatoo

Still a heavy stock but I plan on 40-50% weekly WC and fish are just as important to me as a nice scape and plants.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
184 Posts
i like the second stock the only comment I have is rainbows and sae prefer hard water while hatchets and rummy nose need soft water. I’d do like 6 angels 20 dwarf rainbow (anything like psudomugil or praecox) 12 rainbows (6 pairs of diff species) 20 larger tetras like hyphessobrycon but not softwater ones becsuse they wouldn’t do good then the sae the apistogramma and at least 12 cories, they wouldnt be able to find each other in a planted 130 gal

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i like the second stock the only comment I have is rainbows and sae prefer hard water while hatchets and rummy nose need soft water. I’d do like 6 angels 20 dwarf rainbow (anything like psudomugil or praecox) 12 rainbows (6 pairs of diff species) 20 larger tetras like hyphessobrycon but not softwater ones becsuse they wouldn’t do good then the sae the apistogramma and at least 12 cories, they wouldnt be able to find each other in a planted 130 gal
Hmmm well its gonna be a soft water tank (RODI water with GH booster and Aquasoil) So maybe it would work better to keep the hatchets and tetras and ditch the rainbows. Pick something like the congo tetra for a larger schooling fish. So more or less the first stock but maybe just with 4 angels and not 6 and maybe no rasboras just to lighten the stocking a tad.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts