The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I am a poor graduate student and therefore decided to de-rim an AGA 5 gal instead of buying a new tank. I am trying to go for an iwagumi-ish scape.

Equipment: Aquatek mini paintball CO2 system, Aquaclear 20 (now need to replace after dropping it today while cleaning), two different Ikea lamps with 6500k cfls, craigslist video cabinent for a stand, ecocomplete substrate, seiryu stone, cardboard painted black for a backdrop.

Flora: Dwarf Baby Tears and Blyxa japonica

Progression from day 1:

Why my stand has light emitting from within:Growing my clippings!

·
Registered
588 Posts
That's really nice. I will say though that thermometer is awful. I had the same one and happened across some reviews that said it was off by 5 degrees all the time. Tested my tank it was in and sure enough it was off by 5 degrees.

Did you do a dry start for your HC? How much did that CO2 setup cost? I am guessing you have to run it manually?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's really nice. I will say though that thermometer is awful. I had the same one and happened across some reviews that said it was off by 5 degrees all the time. Tested my tank it was in and sure enough it was off by 5 degrees.

Did you do a dry start for your HC? How much did that CO2 setup cost? I am guessing you have to run it manually?
I don't even use a thermometer anymore. My plants seem to do well no matter the temp and I don't keep fish or shrimp because I like to dose a high amount of co2!

I did start with a dry start which is usually how I begin to establish some root structure. Plants seem to transition really well with ferts and co2.

The first co2 system in the earlier pics I built based on guides I found on here. I kept it on at all times, which isn't great, but it worked crudely (sucked co2 down fast). And that only cost me a couple bucks in parts as I already had old paintball stuff. The new system I have cost me ~$80 for the regulator.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't focus as much on wattage as I do spectrum of light. Both bulbs are 6500K. I believe the watts are in the 20s maybe 23w or 26w...hope that helps.

What wattage of CFL are you using? Need an inexpensive way to light a 2.5 and if you're able to grow a carpet with only CFLs then that would be golden (or is that green?)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
How tall is your blyxa? All mine are staying short.. but I want them to get to their max height. And is that a coating of algae on the large rock or just its color/texture fooling me?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Blyxa is about 5 inches tall per stem. They seem to grow out more than up. The one in the corner appears taller because I let it grow with only root tips below the substrate. So it's anchored by long roots to give it a taller look.

And yes there is some algae growing on the rock, hence why it looks a little bit grownish green. It is cleaner in the last set of photos I took.

How tall is your blyxa? All mine are staying short.. but I want them to get to their max height. And is that a coating of algae on the large rock or just its color/texture fooling me?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.