The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a thread once where someone mentioned an adjustable nozzle-type device that replaced a spraybar. But now I can't find it, and I don't know what magical combination of words will find it in a search... does anyone know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking a stab at it, but no that's not it. It was a device that is meant to replace the spraybar, but it's not a pipe or a tube or anything. If anything, it resembled the look of a small powerhead. It was basically the same thing as just removing the spraybar altogether, and just letting a jet of return water pour into the tank, but it was adjustable, and you could angle it however you wanted to (like i think it was one of those ball-joint/pivot joint kind of nozzles).

I remember that the thread I read it in was about how people were talking about how ugly spraybars are, but not wanting lily pipes, and someone posted a picture of this thing. I even thought I remember it being a link to drs foster smith, but I can't find it on their website either.

I can't remember who even posted the picture of the thing!! Arrrrgh! I usually have a photographic memory for these things!!!! :(

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think what you want is the output that came with my Eheim Ecco 2236. Its basically a swiveling pipe that you can direct the output with. I will try and post a picture of mine tonight.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HA! I think that's it! Thanks. And thanks even more, since obviously the mental image I had (and described) was apparently wrong.... it looks nothing at all like a powerhead, lol. So thanks again.

:)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Have you had a chance to use this yet??

Thinking of replacing the spraybar on my XP1 with this.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
I used one on my 38G for a while, and switched back to a spraybar.

Flow out of the nozzle is slow, and the pressure is low. Water kind of "falls" out of it.

Result meant I had an area of high flow, but the flow was pretty limited to that area.

The restrictive property of a spraybay has my water coming out of my spraybar a little faster, and at a higher pressure. I get much better flow and greater distribution of that flow.

While I did like the compact size of the nozzle, and the adjustabilty of it, it doesn't work as well as a spraybar.....at least for me.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
I have used the linked Eheim set up as well.

It is better than the originally linked nozzle. Water comes out under a bit more pressure, as it is more restrictive than the first nozzle. Water flow is better.

I'd recommend the Eheim as a second out put on a dual filter set up, or as a sole output on a smaller aquarium. I just can't see (nor have I experienced) getting better water distribution from a nozzle when compared to a spray bar.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have used the linked Eheim set up as well.

It is better than the originally linked nozzle. Water comes out under a bit more pressure, as it is more restrictive than the first nozzle. Water flow is better.

I'd recommend the Eheim as a second out put on a dual filter set up, or as a sole output on a smaller aquarium. I just can't see (nor have I experienced) getting better water distribution from a nozzle when compared to a spray bar.
My first choice is to go with the Eheim installation kit 2. I've used them in my other tanks and like them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts