The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got API liquid test kit for fresh water 1 year ago. After using it to test recycle tank for couple week. I didn't use it for a year already.

Today, I setup another new tank. I use this test kit to test my tap water.

But for Ammonia, I put 8 drops into the test tube. The water does not change color to yellow. My water is still transparent clear.

Is there anything wrong with this? Isn't it supposed to be yellow when there is 0 ppm of Ammonia? Does it mean this liquid test expired for Ammonia?

The other test seems to be working properly to me though.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i think they expire 1 year after being manufactured, but who knows how long it sat on a store shelf. it sounds like atleast the amo test is dead. the rest are probably not very accurate as well.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You have to shake bottle number 1 for 30 sec, add 8 drips, shake the test tube and then you add 8 drips from bottle number 2.

I think you forgot to add bottle number 2... , thats what it sounds like.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My test kit isn't expired according to the manufactured day. I still have at least 1 more year to go.

Thanks nalu86, I must forgot how to test it :)
Its always good to read and reread instructions ;)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have a Q about bottle # 2.
My bottle #1 has normal drips, but my bottle #2 has like very big drips, do you have the same? or is mine a defected one?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I have a Q about bottle # 2.
My bottle #1 has normal drips, but my bottle #2 has like very big drips, do you have the same? or is mine a defected one?
I'm not sure which of my bottles is like that off hand, but I know one is almost empty and the other still has lots left in it, so they're not coming out in the same amounts, yet both have the same amounts of liquid in the bottle. Makes me wonder how accurate they're been if one solution is way higher than the other. lol.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've never been a big fan of the drip method. I wish they'd just give you a syringe and tell you how many ML to add.

As you've mentioned, drops aren't always consistent, and just a slight variance in the size of the hole the liquid comes out can make a huge difference.

But a fully cycled tank should have 0 ammonia. The ammonia reacts with the chemical to cause the color change. So my guess is that if your test is off, it will be more likely to exaggerate how much ammonia is in the water. And since anything higher than 0 is too high, its probably not that big of a deal if the test reports 2.0ppm when its actually at 1.0 ppm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.