The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday one of my fish died, with a bite on it it looked like. I didn't think much, but today my baby angelfish died so I tested everything. I have high ammonia!!!! I got some fizzy things to get rid of it. I am putting any shocked looking fish in a 10 gallon away from the main tank, and to keep ammonia down I'm moving the koi fish my brother put in there. They put about 10 new fish in there, and changed my filter pad 2 days ago, do you think this is what caused the ammonia to spike? Did they make the tank recycle? It's a 46 gallon bowfront that has ran since June. Up until now there were very few fish in it. What else can I do? I am beside myself at the loss if my little angelfish. I just can't let my big one die now.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Adding additional fish and dumping filter media is very likely the cause of the ammonia spike.

Keep a steady head, and I believe you can salvage things enough to prevent further loss. The first thing you should do is water changes and reduce the bioload, also if you have another established filter you can add to this tank. 10 to 15 gallons daily for the next couple of days. Or perhaps more, you did not mention how high your readings were.

What are you current readings?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Adding additional fish and dumping filter media is very likely the cause of the ammonia spike.

Keep a steady head, and I believe you can salvage things enough to prevent further loss. The first thing you should do is water changes and reduce the bioload, also if you have another established filter you can add to this tank. 10 to 15 gallons daily for the next couple of days. Or perhaps more, you did not mention how high your readings were.

What are you current readings?
+1
Be careful not to change out to much water or you will not cycle- it is a bit of a balancing act. Watch your readings and personally if in your situation I would not change more than 30%. Hang with it and you see desired results

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Whats your stock list?
What are all your test results?

Personally I would keep koi fish with an angel...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 3 glass catfish 1 peacock eel 6 neon tetras 1 guppy 1 angelfish 1 kribensis cichlid 2 african dwarf frogs. I also have a 4 inch koi. I am going to build him a pond this spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts