The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gallon planted tank. Plants include water sprite, large banana plant, red mellon sword, dwarf hairgrass, java moss, and three others which I forget the names of right now. Two and a half watts per gallon, no CO2, minimal Seachem fert, iron, potassium, Excell, mature HOB filter. The tank has been running over six months with 10 Cardinals in it with good results, decent but not spectacular growth, almost no algae. Water parameters: pH 6.9, Gh 3, Kh 3, temp 79F, nitrates<10.

About two weeks ago, I added one Dwarf Gourami. I never expected an ammonia spike but I have had one for two weeks now. I have been doing 50% water changes almost daily, leaving the gravel undisturbed, but vacuuming the top.

Would you consider my tank to be that seriously overstocked? Would you expect that much ammonia from a single Gourami? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Maybe leave the tank alone for the bacteria colony to do it's job instead of shocking it with water changes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe leave the tank alone for the bacteria colony to do it's job instead of shocking it with water changes.
I hven't been disturbing the gravel nor the filter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
What water conditioner are you using? And what test kit?

I'm betting that what you are seeing is a false positive due to chloramine in the water.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
what's the ammonia level?
feed less. And the don't dose nitrogen for the plant... The plants love ammonia... it's a source of nitrogen. You might want to add trace elements and CO2 fo rhte plants...You can buy these CO2 tablets...or make a DIY CO2 yeast thingy. The plant's are probably not taking in the nutrients because of the lack of CO2 and trace elements.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
what's the ammonia level?
feed less. And the don't dose nitrogen for the plant... The plants love ammonia... it's a source of nitrogen. You might want to add trace elements and CO2 fo rhte plants...You can buy these CO2 tablets...or make a DIY CO2 yeast thingy. The plant's are probably not taking in the nutrients because of the lack of CO2 and trace elements.
Mr.Green, Plants themselves don't take ammonia as nitrogen, Bacteria colonies convert ammonia to nitrogen then the plants use it as food. Thats why it was suggested to lay OFF the water changes and let it rest a little while.

Rex Also brings up some good points which I would look into if I where you!

-Andrew

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Plants will and do take up ammonia. It's why the silent cycle works. And water changes don't and should not affect the bacterial colonies as they primarily live on the surfaces in the aquarium.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Mr.Green, Plants themselves don't take ammonia as nitrogen, Bacteria colonies convert ammonia to nitrogen then the plants use it as food.
-Andrew
Ammonia is actually the plant preferred form of nitrogen. Studies have shown that plants will use ammonia/ammonium before using nitrate.

EDIT: Ah Rex ninja posted.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Ammonia is actually the plant preferred form of nitrogen. Studies have shown that plants will use ammonia/ammonium before using nitrate.

EDIT: Ah Rex ninja posted.
Wow, I think I'm living under a rock... NEVER heard of that...:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Sorry guys!
-Andrew

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What water conditioner are you using? And what test kit?

I'm betting that what you are seeing is a false positive due to chloramine in the water.
I have NYC tap water which has always been fine. I use a standard dechlorinator, nothing else. I am pretty sure they don't use chloramines. Ph=7, low hardness and calcium. It was fine when I set up the tank. I am using AP master test kit. I had ammonia upon initial setup...then it was fine for 6 months. I never thought that adding one dwarf gourami would upset the apple cart. I think I'll stop fertilizing until it's over.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
what is "standard" dechlor?
I have NYC water and have to use Prime, because it also neutralizes chloramine....so look into using Prime....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts