The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a newly planted 90 gal tank that's been up for a week and a half. Plants went in 7 days ago. They're growing like mad, but ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings are off the charts. I did reference check with ammonia and it reads off by almost a point, but the nitrite was checked with distilled water and looks to be off very slightly if at all. I'm using aqua soil and power sand, 4x 55w AH Supply pc's; I've done two 40% WC but levels shoot back up in 48 hrs. I have 22 bunches of assorted stem plants in for a week now. Driftwood, rocks, and sand starting to turn green. LFS guy says to let tank run as is with no WC and check levels in a week. I'm afraid what this tank might look like in a week's time. I'm assuming he believes the plants will eventually get a handle on the on the high NH levels. Would'nt it be better to do some WCs and get a few algae eaters in there to help combat the algae. Sure could use some expert advice.

KH=1.2
PH=6.2 measured w drop checker & pinpoint PH monitor. According to C Gadd's calculator, this gives me CO2 of 22.71ppm (pressurized CO2 system)

·
Registered
663 Posts
ADA's Aqua Soil has a lot of ammonia in it. If you put algae eaters in there, they will die. It needs to run it's course. Doing water changes is fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks KDahlin. You just saved me a little money and probably a fish funeral. I was going to buy just a couple to see whether the test kits were totally screwed up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts