The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tested my Ammonia in my tank at 4 weeks now......Ammonia reading was really high, like off the charts high. Substrate is ADA Amazonia II which does leech ammonia. My question is even if other nutrients are good, will really high ammonia levels kill plants? I decided to check ammonia when I noticed my water getting really cloudy. I have quite a few plants basically just dying at this point, all turning a nice shade of brown. There is lots of co2 and ferts in the tank trust me. I am doing EI dosing pretty much.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did like a 70 percent water change to get the ammonia down, water smelled pretty bad. No fish in the tank, so that's good. Water cleared up a little. Maybe another water change tomorrow......then test again.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
i have played around with certain chemicals and their effects on plants, IME ammonia can kill the plants, so can the KNO3. but ammonia melts the plant very quickly, especially if you have a PH higher than 7. 1ppm of ammonia is enough to kill most plants, but it is less toxic in these levels if it is under PH of 7.

i setup a test while back where kno3 was 80+ppm and many plants melted while ammonia was also high 2-3ppm, but i did another test where ammonia was around 2ppm and nitrate was 60+ppm and still some plants melted. i did the final test where plants were ok even ammonia was at 1ppm and nitrate were less than 20ppm. my end results was clear that both can melt the plants if they go excess.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a really cool experiment Happi. I have really been struggling to keep the ammonia down in my tank. That Amazonia II ADA soil is leaching ammonia like crazy. I do daily 50 percent water changes and still I can't keep it below .5ppm.....hopefully that is ok....But I thought Ammonia would kill plants. Mine were basically melting as well, found that my Ammonia was around 4ppm before the daily water changes......

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
That is a really cool experiment Happi. I have really been struggling to keep the ammonia down in my tank. That Amazonia II ADA soil is leaching ammonia like crazy. I do daily 50 percent water changes and still I can't keep it below .5ppm.....hopefully that is ok....But I thought Ammonia would kill plants. Mine were basically melting as well, found that my Ammonia was around 4ppm before the daily water changes......
Add co2 to this water and the ammonia will turn into ammonium which makes it food for plants.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Some plants can tolerate higher levels than others.
You are growing plenty of the nitrifying bacteria, though. Keep the level of ammonia low enough for the plants, or else plan on planting after the cycle is complete.
The soil will probably keep leaching ammonia for about a month. After that the nitrifying bacteria will have grown enough to deal with the little bit of ammonia that continues showing up.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Some plants can tolerate higher levels than others.
You are growing plenty of the nitrifying bacteria, though. Keep the level of ammonia low enough for the plants, or else plan on planting after the cycle is complete.
The soil will probably keep leaching ammonia for about a month. After that the nitrifying bacteria will have grown enough to deal with the little bit of ammonia that continues showing up.
Diana advice is good, but also dont forget that bacteria doesnt like very low PH, in my case i dont have enough bacteria due to extermely low PH, it can drop below 5 PH on my tanks.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Add co2 to this water and the ammonia will turn into ammonium which makes it food for plants.
ammonium also burn plant when it is excess, only few plants will suffer from this. i add almost 1ppm of ammonium through urea to my tank everyday, but not for now because i just restarted my tank again, high Nitrate 60-80ppm also melted some plants for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts