The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pretty bad/old ammonia test kit which isn't 100% accurate, so I just tend to look for the signs.

I got some albino red lace delta guppies (1 male, 2 female) and put them into a heavily planted 5.5 gallon tank (it was cycled by that time, no plants melting) but I may have been overfeeding recently from inexperience (I'll back off on the feeding)... They seem just fine, swimming around and acting normal. Not laying on the bottom, not at the surface, not freaking out. They're perfectly healthy in their actions and have been since I got them 5 days ago.

I noticed today that their gills are red. It isn't red from all angles. Only if they turn around (tail facing me) and I can see into their gills. I know they should be red, and I can't notice it by looking and their chests or anything. Just when they turn around. They're bright red. There is *NO* heavy breathing. There are *NO* strange behaviors. Just red gills (and not super red like the usual ammonia poisoning, as I said it is only visible from a direct look into the gills)...

I'm thinking of doing small water change with distilled water in case my tap is contaminated (supposed to be 0 ammonia)... The water doesn't smell, there is no cloudy surface. The temperature is 77F as it has been while I've had them.

I'm worried that doing too many water changes is bad, however. I did one yesterday that was about 2 gallons, since I had just fed pretty heavily. They eat all the food I give them in less than 5 minutes, but they expel a ton of waste I'm sure.

Any thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Are you using a dechloranizer? If not, get prime ASAP. Do a 50% water change with prime afterwards.

Hope it's ammonia, since you can do small daily water changes with a lil prime to relieve it.... Keep us updated on your progress.

Note: If it doesn't go away it might be gill flukes. (I don't think this is the case, but keep it in mind)

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I just watched a few videos of albino guppies... They all have the same color gills that are only visible from the same angle.

I guess it's just the contrast between colors that I don't see on my gray-bodied guppies.

Nevermind y'all...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts