The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just got off the phone with our water department because when I tested our tap water it had something like 2 or 4ppm ammonia in it (i cant remember the color chart off the top of my head, but it was a medium-dark green, API kit). Basically, they use an ammonia-chlorine solution to treat the water. I'm also trying to do the EI index fert method, which of course includes big water changes. I'm thinking that doing such a big water change with ammonia-filled water is probably a bad thing.

Question is: Is it safe to rely on my water conditioner (Seachem Prime) to convert that ammonia to ammonium in such a big water change? I don't want to endanger the fish if it can be avoided, but water changes are a necessity.

Buying gallons of distilled water every time i want to water change is not an option >_<

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Prime is a very good water conditioner. It works with chlorine and chloramine. Two drops per gallon or 5 mL per 50g is enough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Left C :)

So if I'm changing half the water in my 46g tank with a Python (which i expect to arrive on friday) it's safe to add 5mL of Prime to the remaining water before filling the tank back up again? And this will still be safe for the fish, considering the ammonia present in the tap?

·
Registered
85 Posts
If I remember the info posted on another site the prime only works for 48 hours.

It is better to add the prime to the water before putting it in the tank if you have the capability to store your water and airate it.

There is a new product called chlorX that is supposed to be wonderful.

I have the same issues with my water company and they also add a lot of phosphate compounds. I have dual carbon filters to remove the chlorine and amonia.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Thanks for the reply Left C :)
You're very welcome.

So if I'm changing half the water in my 46g tank with a Python (which i expect to arrive on friday) it's safe to add 5mL of Prime to the remaining water before filling the tank back up again? And this will still be safe for the fish, considering the ammonia present in the tap?
By doing it that way, you should base your dose of Prime based on your full tank volume. 46g x 85% = 39.1g. So 4 to 5 mL should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.