The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all... I’m an idiot. I learned about the nitrogen cycle AFTER I put in my three angels and 5 pearl danios. They seem to be doing just fine, but I just tested my water and my ammonia is very very high and after a ≈30% water change I still have high ammonia. What do I do!!! I really want to keep my angels alive during this cycling process, but I know they are sensitive. I am using seachem prime, but is it worth adding in ammo lock? Or how else do I fix this? I am doing daily 15-20% WC and am having little to no luck. Would appreciate some help 🙂 thank you

·
Registered
194 Posts
Prime and ammo lock will both help neutralize the ammonia for a period of about 24 to 48 hours, so either one is fine.
Do larger water changes 50% plus.
If you can and beneficial bacteria like fritz Zyme 7 or seachem stability they will help speed up the cycle, I have had good luck with those products.
What test kit are you using to measure ammonia?
You will also need to measure for nitrite.
What is your waters PH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
As mentioned do larger water changes daily. As in as much water as possible to remove while still letting your fish not swim sideways. 75% plus would be great. I've had good luck with Tetra safe start and it is available at almost every fish store. That said it will not solve your problems overnight either. If you don't have a way of semi automating your water change process you may want to look into a python or similar water change system.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ditto on the larger daily water changes. After a week or so, you should be able to reduce that and things should start heading to “normal”.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts