The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50 gallon planted aquarium, currently cycling (or what I thought was cycling)-- the ammonia was 0.3 around 3 days ago, and I've been doing water changes 20% every day since then .. because through some circumstance or other, I have 3 guppies. I know I should be fishless cycling, but .. well, here I am.

I removed a bunch of melting stems/leaves last night, and today (night) the ammonia has become less than 0.1, yet there are no nitrites? :s What does this mean, and will the tank cycle this way (maybe slowly, but will it?) ?

·
Registered
745 Posts
sounds like a combination of things

1. water changes are removing ammonia
2. plants are eating ammonia
3. amm. concentration isnt high enough for a colony to form
4. nitrite/nitrate levels are too low for your test kit to register

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will a colony not be able to form with a constant amount of minimal ammonia then? :x what do you think would be a reasonable solution in this case?

·
Registered
199 Posts
3 guppies isnt enough to spike the ammonia to kick start the cycle.

Your water changes & plants is removing the ammonia before it can even build up

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
you don't kick start a beneficial bacteria bloom.. bacteria is present everywhere.. if there is food it will feed. having more food doesn't increase the rate at which it reproduces. just increases the final result of how much will be there ..
.3 ppm of ammonia is enough to grow a cycle.. chill a little on the water changes.
u still want it to be there for them to grow.. let the bacteria handle the ammonia. and the plants.. once u get past .5 - 1 ppm of ammonia. consider water changes

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I normally am a huge advocate of water changes when livestock is present during a cycle. But 3 guppies in a 50g isn't going to make much of an ammonia spike. I agree with Blazingwolf to just keep testing the ammonia and base your water changes on your test results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts