The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having some ammonia/nitrate issues with my CRS tank. It was started in October and I just recently added 22 CRS about 2 weeks ago. They were about 1/4 inch long.
I've had issues cycling this tank as I never saw Nitrite at all and ammonia uptake seem to be erratic. I cycled using Ace ammonia.
I thought I had it cycled after 3 months so I ordered shrimp.
Last week my parameters were (I use no ferts or co2 here)
6.4 pH
101 tds
5 gH
0KH
ammonia 0
Nitrate 5.
70 Degrees
I did a 1 gallon water change which I dripped 1 drop a second over the course of the day. Thats about a 13% water change. Tank is a 10 gallon holds about 7.5.

This week I was getting ready for another 1 gallon water change and I retested ammonia and nitrate and now the water is
TDS 104
5gh
0kh
.25-.5ppm ammonia
10-20 Nitrate
I've tried to feed twice both of which I removed the food that was uneaten after a couple hours. (had in glass dish)
I've used Bacter AE twice using amount equal to a grain of rice.

I've only found 1 dead shrimp and it was the day after adding them.
I found 1 dead on the ground behind the tank. unknown when it was there as it was dried.

Any Idea what I should do? I'm currently changing 2 gallons of water which is little over 25% I'm dripping it in the tank little faster then 2 drops per second. I don't want to kill them due to water change but the ammonia is worrisome.
Should I add some prime?
I could do another water change tomorrow?
my 5gh 0kh water is 84TDS. using salty shrimp GH+

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
You can certainly add prime and/or do water change.

Since the tank is acidic, the ammonia is less of a concern as some of it is ammonium which is less harmful to shrimp.

If your tank is covered in biofilm that the shrimp are grazing on, they just might not be hungry for regular food. You could try offering vegetables instead or dried leaves?

·
Registered
206 Posts
A low pH of 6.4 means our beneficial bacteria is inhibited by 90%. This 'may' cause a slight increase in ammonia but this low pH is also keeping your ammonia at bay. Need to get your pH over 7 to get you bacteria jump started again to oxidize ammonia. Remember the only thing that will get rid of ammonia is water changes and plants. Prime should only be added when you do water changes like the instructions say since it is only a simple de-chlorinator.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You can certainly add prime and/or do water change.

Since the tank is acidic, the ammonia is less of a concern as some of it is ammonium which is less harmful to shrimp.

If your tank is covered in biofilm that the shrimp are grazing on, they just might not be hungry for regular food. You could try offering vegetables instead or dried leaves?
I have a Indian almond leaf in the tank as well. I could add some alder cones. How many would l need to add?

A low pH of 6.4 means our beneficial bacteria is inhibited by 90%. This 'may' cause a slight increase in ammonia but this low pH is also keeping your ammonia at bay. Need to get your pH over 7 to get you bacteria jump started again to oxidize ammonia. Remember the only thing that will get rid of ammonia is water changes and plants. Prime should only be added when you do water changes like the instructions say since it is only a simple de-chlorinator.
With buffering substrate driftwood/IAL. The ph will never be over 7. The shrimp want lower ph anyway.

So what do I do to get more nitro bacteria? Just wait? More wc? I've been reading conflicting info on CRS some say less water changes other day more.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Yes, you could add leaves and alder cones.

I would recommend waiting at least but keep an eye on parameters and shrimp. Acidic tanks DO tank longer to cycle than alkaline, but it's not impossible!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.