The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I just switched my HOB filter for an eheim classic 2217. I was testing my water for ammonia and nitrites and noticed that both have spiked. MY ammonia is at .25ppm and my nitrites went to 0.5ppm. Is this because i changed my filter? This new eheim filter is pretty awesome!

What levels should i be concerned with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Usually a new filter haven't enought beneficial bacteria - have to wait few weeks. The best level for Ammonia and Nitrite is 0
(which media have u use in filter?)

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you didn't transfer the biological media from the old filter to the new filter you'll basically have a tank cycle on your hands. Like mentioned both ammonia and nitrites should be 0, they are both toxic. You might have to do a bunch of water changes over the next week or two until the cycle is done in order to keep the toxins down.

Harry

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the ceraminc tubes, the ceramic balls, pre filter pad, course filter pad, fine filter pad. Also, i have 12 fish and about 15 plants. I really dont want anything to happen to them.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
That's probably what happened it should go back to 0 in a week or so once the bacteria colony grows large enough to handle the excess ammonia. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see stress signs in your fish (gasping at the top of the tank, floating sideways, etc). A few extra water changes will help you clear the mini-cycle until the new colony grows.

I put a sponge filter on my intake line so that I have two bacteria colonies running and I alternate cleaning them so that I don't have those types of spikes. Or if the tank is large enough I run two canisters and then just alternate cleaning them the same way.

- Brad

·
Registered
27 Posts
The media is good - give them time to start to work. The level of Ammonia and Nitrite is not so dangerous but that doesn't mean is ok. Just try to keep them low by change parts of water. After few weeks will be fine :)
U can also put in the filter the Ammonia Remover till when the biological filter start to work:)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Alec,
Do you still have the HOB filter running on a tank? If so, and it came from a healthy tank, I'd put that filter media in your new canister if you can spare it from the tank it's on now.

Or, if you don't mind waiting for the water to clear afterward, rinse the old media lightly to remove heavy debris and then rinse it out well in the tank. Water will be cloudy but the filter should clear it up in no time.
That trick worked well for a friend to get the nitrites and ammonia back to 0 quickly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tossed the old filter (sucked), though i know i shouldn't have now :(. I have some of this tetrafin instant bacteria stuff that i put near the intake of the filter so that it would suck it up. Fish seem fine, all swimming around happily :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi again.
I've never used the tetrafin product you mentioned. Hopefully someone that has will chime in about it.

But in any case, water changes will help with the levels.

And I would feed the fish very lightly with some fasting days to avoid more waste.

Hopefully, things will get back to normal quickly for you!

·
Registered
45 Posts
http://drtimsaquatics.com/H2O_PURE_Products/H2O_PURE_Products.html#FW_One

Alec, i usd this stuff by a recommendation from my LFS and it worked like a dream!!! If you decide to do it its the "One and Only H20''.

When i started my 180 gal, I tried cycling it with a new sump filter and a seasoned HOB from an established tank. I let them run for a week with some shrimp then added my plants and fish. I started losing fish left and right! I added this Dr. Tims One and Only and never lost another fish! I dont remember what my levels were but everything really evened out after the Dr. Tims! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've used Hagen's "Nutrafin Cycle" product in the past (I still have a bottle handy) it's a good product as long as you know what it really does verses the hype or hate depending on what forum member you talk to.

While it does add nitrifying bacteria that will help keep your fish from dying of ammonia poisoning they are not the correct type we are looking for. The bacteria has been engineered with an extremely short life span (about 12 hours) so you have to keep adding the product everyday and it does not help colonize your media so keep in mind that using it at the beginning isn't a bad idea but you have to keep using it until your media builds up a good colony in the normal two to four week time period.

I dug into Hagen's patten's about a year ago it's an interesting product that had to be more trouble to design the gimped life span than one that would have helped create a real colony long term, but then we wouldn't need to keep buying the product if they did it right.

- Brad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts