The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a sign of micro toxicity? I have more than 20 types of plants and i only struggle to grow this plant!
EI dosing for macro
Tetra plantamin for micro
Additional seachem iron 3 times a week at recommended dose

picture of the tank

·
Registered
444 Posts
Most Lythranceae plants(Rotala, Ammania, Nesaea etc..) is known to be more stable at lower N and traces. Basically less stunting.
For some people they have no problem at high nutrients, for others they have no end of problems at high nutrients.

Do all the basic stuffs first. WC, Cleaning filter, double check CO2, trim....ya know.
After WC try not dosing traces and see how that goes. If problem persists then we can look into N or other stuffs.
For me traces was issue for most of the time when this happens.

Some people report high K or K:Ca ratio playing a role in Ammania species stunting.
I personally did not have any problems with those but might be worth it to check out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Most Lythranceae plants(Rotala, Ammania, Nesaea etc..) is known to be more stable at lower N and traces. Basically less stunting.
For some people they have no problem at high nutrients, for others they have no end of problems at high nutrients.
Yeah Ammannias are touchy....I keep A Senegalensis and it stunts on a whim frequently....same ferts, lighting, CO2, etc. but something isn't to its liking...maybe it's lower N and traces as you say

On Lythraceaa there's this post I've kept bookmarked

Rotala Deficiency

The takeaway from that post is this

"95% of plants are tolerant of high KH but Lythraceae do not seem to tolerate high KH well at all...in the presence of high nutrients."

Aqualove, you're dosing EI macros....any idea what your KH is? And your tank looks great BTW!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Do all the basic stuffs first. WC, Cleaning filter, double check CO2, trim....ya know.
After WC try not dosing traces and see how that goes. If problem persists then we can look into N or other stuffs.
For me traces was issue for most of the time when this happens.

Some people report high K or K:Ca ratio playing a role in Ammania species stunting.
I personally did not have any problems with those but might be worth it to check out.
Thank you very much, i will definitely follow your advice and see

Yeah Ammannias are touchy....I keep A Senegalensis and it stunts on a whim frequently....same ferts, lighting, CO2, etc. but something isn't to its liking...maybe it's lower N and traces as you say

On Lythraceaa there's this post I've kept bookmarked

Rotala Deficiency

The takeaway from that post is this

"95% of plants are tolerant of high KH but Lythraceae do not seem to tolerate high KH well at all...in the presence of high nutrients."

Aqualove, you're dosing EI macros....any idea what your KH is? And your tank looks great BTW!
Thank you,

KH:3
GH:6

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've found that these twisted tips can actually grow to normal looking leaves eventually. This is what happens when you trim it, a bunch of these crazy looking ugly leaves appear, then they gradually form into new stems.
I hope so, i already trimmed the twisted part, will see how the new growth will look like.
Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.