The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
All peaceful community fish.
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just placed an order on Ebay for a few American Flagfish at the recommendation of my LFS. I'm having a bit of a battle with BBA and can't seem to locate a Siamese Algae Eater, so Nate suggested these fish.

Now, I'm concerned that they will damage my plants.

Does anyone have experience with these fish? I have some dwarf cichlids in my tank but prefer to always keep all males to keep the aggression down and it seems to work well for me, but I've heard that these are kind of nippy.

Any information is appreciated, thanks!
D

·
Super Moderator
17,131 Posts
Yep, they'll (Flagfish) go after your plants. May be a disaster, may not be. Really depends upon the individual fish. But generally, yes, they're going to eat your plants. Edit: Need to add that if you pick hardier plants like Anubias and Java Fern, you may have fewer issues. And it really does depend upon the individual fish.

They're also pretty aggressive and will attack/fin nip other fish in your tank.

When it comes to algae, it's always best to get to the bottom of why you have algae. Have you done much reading here on the forum about it?

What kind of tank do you have? What kind of lighting? Duration of lighting? What's your fertilization regimen? How often do you perform water changes and how much water do you change?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, they'll (Flagfish) go after your plants. May be a disaster, may not be. Really depends upon the individual fish. But generally, yes, they're going to eat your plants. Edit: Need to add that if you pick hardier plants like Anubias and Java Fern, you may have fewer issues. And it really does depend upon the individual fish.

They're also pretty aggressive and will attack/fin nip other fish in your tank.

When it comes to algae, it's always best to get to the bottom of why you have algae. Have you done much reading here on the forum about it?

What kind of tank do you have? What kind of lighting? Duration of lighting? What's your fertilization regimen? How often do you perform water changes and how much water do you change?
My tank is a 36 gal. I had bought new lights that are LED full spectrum. I put film and some electrical tape on them to cut down a bit on the light when I had an algae bloom. The algae bloom was from me over cleaning my filter media and I got rid of it with a UV light a 3 X a week water changes. My lights are on 12 hours a day and the tank is medium planted, not super heavy, but not lightly either.

I haven't been using any liquid ferts at all although I had bought some, and just today started dosing again with Excel. Now, I change the water once a week and it's about 1/4 of the tank.

The algae isn't super horrible, but it's hard to get it off of the plants and it seems to have increased over the last couple of months.

It sounds like the flag fish may be a bad idea though.

Thanks for your input.
D

·
Super Moderator
17,131 Posts
My tank is a 36 gal. I had bought new lights that are LED full spectrum. I put film and some electrical tape on them to cut down a bit on the light when I had an algae bloom. The algae bloom was from me over cleaning my filter media and I got rid of it with a UV light a 3 X a week water changes. My lights are on 12 hours a day and the tank is medium planted, not super heavy, but not lightly either.

I haven't been using any liquid ferts at all although I had bought some, and just today started dosing again with Excel. Now, I change the water once a week and it's about 1/4 of the tank.

The algae isn't super horrible, but it's hard to get it off of the plants and it seems to have increased over the last couple of months.

It sounds like the flag fish may be a bad idea though.

Thanks for your input.
D
I wouldn't say they're a bad idea. Especially if you can re-home them if they don't work out for you - or maybe take them to your local shop for credit. It's kind of like having a Betta - some are peaceful and don't bother shrimp. Some are murderous monsters and can wipe out a colony of a hundred shrimp in a couple days. But there's only one way to find out, you know?

But if it were me, I'd start by cutting that photoperiod to 7-8 hours per day regardless of what they are. Could you post a photo of the tank? That may help people give you better advice and responses. And will give us a sense for the type of plants/how many you've got, the substrate you're using, that sort of thing. And people will be able to help nip the algae problem in the bud.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't say they're a bad idea. Especially if you can re-home them if they don't work out for you - or maybe take them to your local shop for credit. It's kind of like having a Betta - some are peaceful and don't bother shrimp. Some are murderous monsters and can wipe out a colony of a hundred shrimp in a couple days. But there's only one way to find out, you know?

But if it were me, I'd start by cutting that photoperiod to 7-8 hours per day regardless of what they are. Could you post a photo of the tank? That may help people give you better advice and responses. And will give us a sense for the type of plants/how many you've got, the substrate you're using, that sort of thing. And people will be able to help nip the algae problem in the bud.
Crummy picture, I know but at least you can get an idea. I pulled out some background plants earlier today that were not doing well, but I bought more today from ebay.
Water Plant Plant community Green Pet supply

Water Plant Green Fish supply Pet supply

Crummy picture, I know but at least you can get an idea. I pulled out some background plants earlier today that were not doing well, but I bought more today from ebay.
Water Plant Plant community Green Pet supply
Sorry for the confusion. This picture was taken today. As I mentioned, I have more plants on the way from ebay.
Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I kept Flag fish years ago and they did little for my bba issues at the time.
They just ate the fish food and did so vigorously.
As mentioned, they can be rather aggressive to other fish, especially if you have more than one.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Similar experiences with flag fish (though I've never personally kept them I have maintained tanks with them). I've never dealt with them outside of species only tanks but they definitely had the right attitude at feeding time that you can just tell. They definitely destroy plants, too. They definitely have the attitude of betta and dwarf gourami. Fun little fish to watch.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah, it could be interesting to keep a few by themselves and try to breed them.
They do have cichlid-like behavior.
I just don't like them as algae eaters, and I don't find them particularly attractive.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yeah, it could be interesting to keep a few by themselves and try to breed them.
They do have cichlid-like behavior.
I just don't like them as algae eaters, and I don't find them particularly attractive.
Agreed, I wouldn't think they'd be as good at eating bba as they would at nibbling plants. Not exactly what the OP is looking for.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I have changed my order to Threadfin Rainbows and some Endlers. My BBA is not that bad that I want to disrupt my peaceful community with nippers and plant nibblers. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond and I think that I made the right decision in foregoing the flagfish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.