The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 45G high aquarium that is moderately planted with amazon swords, crypts, moneywort, anacharis, java fern & java moss. I have an Eheim 2217 canister filter and CO2 injection. Currently, the tank is stocked with (2) peppered cory cat fish, (1) albino bristle nose pleco, (5) otto cats, and (3) female dalmation mollys. I would like to add american flag fish to the tank, and I don't mind having to remove the mollys and otto cats if there's a dispute/conflict. I would rather keep the pleco and cory cat fish. I'm read several conflicting reports of "un-guessable" behavior of these fish. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.
Again, I'm willing to make some consessions.:biggrin:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since not receiving any responses, I'm guessing very few have experienced raising this species. I've decided to purchase 3 females, and see what happens. The males are beautiful, but can be aggressive.

·
Registered
423 Posts
that's also the same I have read/heard about them. I had a chance to buy 2 females and a male but passed it up because my tank is fully stocked as it is.

They are primarily herbivores and will eat algae in your tank. You have to be careful though because once the algae is gone, they go after your plants.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have had 8 in my 75 gal endler tank with no problems. They will only eat certain types of algea, mostly hair algae. Once that is gone you must feed veggie flakes or they will start on the more tender plants. If they start spawning, they do become territorial with any other male flags in the tank, but I never seen them mess with the endlers or their fry.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the responses and info. What's an "endler tank"????; I've never herd of that term before.:redface:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Endlers are a type of livebearer, google the term "Endler's Live Bearer" and click images. You'll find em.

I've kept American Flagfish (Jordanella Floridae) once, and I have mixed feelings on them. They did wonders on my brush algae, but I did find them rediculously aggressive towards my Corries (Salt and Pepper). I don't know if it was because they were trying to breed (dig pits in the substrate) and the Corries were in the wrong area at the wrong time, but the American Flagfish were harrasing them pretty badly to the point I gave them away, and in turn, that person gave them away too.
If kept in a species tank, they do look awesome. I have an importer who keeps them in a species tank and their colours are amazing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the info!....In fact, I performed the google research immediately after my post. (eg after-thought). I've returned to my residence with AFF/4 males & 2 females. They are currently adjusting to their new home. I changed my mind on the quantity and gender(s), and I'm willing to remove any fish that are being chased or bullied. For some reason, I am really attracted to this species. Thanks for your comments & info.:icon_smil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts