The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the look of them & when I first received them the roots that dangle were a good small size 1-2 inches, but after having them planted awhile the roots exceeded to 5-7 inches! While this wouldn't be bad in a larger tank the roots cover my plants in my 8 gallon.

So I figured maybe it's because they are older plants? So I threw them in my plant scrap tank & after a week I removed all of it & separated the new baby ones from the adults & decided to give frogbit another go in my main tank. It has only been 4 days & the roots went from 1 1/2 inches to 4-5 ahhhh. What can I do so the plants grow wide & roots grow slow?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I really like the look of them & when I first received them the roots that dangle were a good small size 1-2 inches, but after having them planted awhile the roots exceeded to 5-7 inches! While this wouldn't be bad in a larger tank the roots cover my plants in my 8 gallon.

So I figured maybe it's because they are older plants? So I threw them in my plant scrap tank & after a week I removed all of it & separated the new baby ones from the adults & decided to give frogbit another go in my main tank. It has only been 4 days & the roots went from 1 1/2 inches to 4-5 ahhhh. What can I do so the plants grow wide & roots grow slow?
that's petty much what they do I bought 10 or so online and within a month I had about 30 little plants.

they seem to grow a little slower the more surface agitation they get and my Angels and Gouramis usually take care or the root length problem, although I wish they wouldn't I've been trying to get my roots to grow for months but the fish keep eating them

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh darnit. I reduced the output of my filter for the sole purpose of it being a shrimp tank (biocube8) I get new plantlets everyday. The speed this thing grows is just crazy to me

·
Registered
163 Posts
ahh darnit. I reduced the output of my filter for the sole purpose of it being a shrimp tank (biocube8) I get new plantlets everyday. The speed this thing grows is just crazy to me
well I bought 10 sm pieces of Frogbit on Aquabid or $6-$8 I think shipping included but shipping probably cost's less than $2 for a ziploc bag and a 1st class stamp.

I give mine away to try and encourage other people to pick up the hobby but have often thought of setting up a tank to grow out cuttings for Sale / Trade
Just a thought.

or you could just try something else there are plenty of other lilies out there. have you thought about a banana plant or my favorite plant ever Red lotus, I have one in my 40B as my centerpiece it has 2 Large leaves midway in the tank and 5-6 beautiful red/purple lilies floating on top

·
Super Moderator
15,099 Posts
You can trim the roots if they're too long for your taste. Give your extras away as a Random Act Of Kindness in the RAOK/WTB forum. Though, First Class mail is a quick way to crush your plantlets.

The fast growth of Amazon Frogbit is ideal for shrimp tanks because it sucks up nitrates and the roots serve as a great place to hide for young shrimp.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Most of my amazon frogbit is in shrimp tank and has very long roots. Sometimes I trim off the roots with scissors. Usually my shrimps like to hide and hunt for food in between the long roots. I've noticed the long roots traps free flowing debris/small particles in the shrimp tank.

Amazon frogbit grows like crazy in all my tanks and I do offer this floating plant for free to other hobbyists.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I read somewhere that the roots get longer when nutrients are in short supply. After I did some major thinning out in my tank recently all my frogbit roots were short again, less competition for nutrients maybe.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I read somewhere that the roots get longer when nutrients are in short supply. After I did some major thinning out in my tank recently all my frogbit roots were short again, less competition for nutrients maybe.
That seems to be what I see with DWL. If I keep dosing micros every other day but skip WC and let nitrates build up the roots stay shorter. Up the WC and the roots get longer.

·
Registered
763 Posts
salvinia (sp?) looks great also and the roots stay much shorter Ive noticed. There is actually a RAOK for it currently offered by fenderfreak (good seller btw).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been thinking of getting something like frogbit for my 9G shrimp tank, too. I'm not sure I like the long roots, either.

Any other good options with a bit less roots? I was thinking maybe Asian watermoss or some other salvinia. I assume red root floaters would be similar to frogbit in root length?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts