The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my tank cover but then realize that i need a lil some more substrate on the front . well its got mostly flourie and 2 bag of eco ( but stir the substrate a few time ) look like eco is all the way on the bottom now .
should i get 2 bag of amazonia or eco ... money is not a issue here .but what worth and making sence..
1: get 2 eco and stir and mix whatever and not worry ..
2: 2 amazonia pay more but then later its probadly all mix up and amazonia just a waste ? right? ( i was think push all the substrate now to the back , leave about 6in on the front and dump amazonia there) that way amazonia will be amazonia not mixing up with the other.
which option should i do ..? i probadly will go with #2 since i read HC doesnt do well with eco anyways , , but wanna hear whats the other will say about this..!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm actually considering option 2 for my tank. I already have the Aquasoil in a bucket of water ( about 2 weeks now) and making water changes.

My only concern is how to avoid the Eco mixing with the AS.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I would definitely not mix Eco with AS. AS is a relatively delicate substrate, and the hard Eco pieces could potential crush the AS into mud. Of course, AS really shouldnt be disturbed too much anyway once its in the tank.

I would either use cut plexiglass to seperate sections of the tank to accomplish something like what pandapr mentioned, and use different substrates in different sections, or I would stick to just one substrate throughout.

Of course, if you really want an HC lawn, then Id go with the AS, because it does generally act as a better substrate for HC than Eco and Flourite (speaking from personal experience here too).

·
Registered
433 Posts
Have anyone used other material besides plexiglass to separate the two substrates? I don't have enough AS to fill the tank but enough for the front part of it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would definitely not mix Eco with AS. AS is a relatively delicate substrate, and the hard Eco pieces could potential crush the AS into mud. Of course, AS really shouldnt be disturbed too much anyway once its in the tank.

I would either use cut plexiglass to seperate sections of the tank to accomplish something like what pandapr mentioned, and use different substrates in different sections, or I would stick to just one substrate throughout.

Of course, if you really want an HC lawn, then Id go with the AS, because it does generally act as a better substrate for HC than Eco and Flourite (speaking from personal experience here too).
thank for the reply ..its really a pita if i push all the substrate back and seperate them between the plexi glass..on the back already got a really thick substrate and not alot but some plant already plant across the tank . push completely back will bury alot of plants . you dont think some flourite on the bottom and AS on top is a good idea? i'm so glad that i open this thread . now i'll wait to see how pandapr doing his tank and see if there's any better solution , if not i'll just gonna get som eco and get it over with .. i just done put out alot of HM too , turn brown and melting in my tank , if i cant grown HM . how the heck could i grown HC..:(

Have anyone used other material besides plexiglass to separate the two substrates? I don't have enough AS to fill the tank but enough for the front part of it.
please post here when you done ,let me see how you did your .

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just bought 2 bags for my 29 gallon and i was very happy. The two bags of eco complete cost me only 38 bucks and on my 29 gallon i got like 2.5 inches of eco. my vals and swords are doing great. I only had a little troble of cloudy water because i just poured in water and i didnt run a filter. My fishes color looks great and my plants are much more greener. i will try to grow hc or some foreground plant to create a carpet. I like howit seperates into to layers. Sand on the bottom and rocks on the top for proper substrate circulation. It now 3 days in my tank and i would give this product A+++++

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just bought 2 bags for my 29 gallon and i was very happy. The two bags of eco complete cost me only 38 bucks and on my 29 gallon i got like 2.5 inches of eco. my vals and swords are doing great. I only had a little troble of cloudy water because i just poured in water and i didnt run a filter. My fishes color looks great and my plants are much more greener. i will try to grow hc or some foreground plant to create a carpet. I like howit seperates into to layers. Sand on the bottom and rocks on the top for proper substrate circulation. It now 3 days in my tank and i would give this product A+++++
good luck with trying HC on it ... i had been read not alot of members cant grown HC with eco but some can ..let me know how it turn out. i really REALLY want a nice HC carpet too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.