The Planted Tank Forum banner

Amazonfish's 25G low tech

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Amazonfish 
#1 ·
Originally, this was simply a tank with plants. Now...it will be a "planted tank". There's clearly a distinction between the two. It used to have only 20 watts of regular fluorescent lighting, but I just got my coralife fixture today. More explanation to follow (keep scrolling):

Tank
25 gallons 32x12x16

Equipment
Coralife 30" T5 fixture--36 watts
Aqua Clear 50

Substrate
Coarse sand

Fertilization
fish poo
trace 1x week
iron once in awhile
excel

Flora
Amazon sword
Java fern (regular, narrow leaf, and windelov)
anubias (barteri)
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'red'
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne crispulata v. balansae
Cryptocoryne spiralis
banana plant
sunset hygro
rotala rotundifolia
tiger lotus

Fauna
2 Mikrogeophagus altispinosus (bolivian rams)
5 Corydoras habrosus
3 Sphaerichthys selatanensis (chocolate gourami)
2 otos (will get more)
some guppies that got there accidentally

So, here's a "before" picture of the tank:

Then, I got the coralife fixture and threw in (literally) a few more plants:

I haven't "scaped" yet, and that's because I got some manzanita that I ordered for two of my tanks, and it needs to sink!! Here it is in my 125G:

Once it sinks, I'll be able to create some sort of aquascape to make the tank look nice. :smile:

See less See more
#4 ·
Some of the wood is still floating, so I couldn't scape yet. As it turns out though, I think the wood might be too big for the tank :mad: I planted some new things I got on the swap n shop, and those have been growing for a week now. It looks really random, but I don't mind it. I just want to see some good growth!! When I confirm that I can successfully grow plants, I will make a nice manzanita scape.

Here are some pics:

#5 ·
Oh! I forgot to mention that a lot of these plants will be moving to another tank. This is a somewhat low tech tank, and a lot of the plants in there won't thrive long term. I'll post a list of new plants soon (I'll specify which are staying and which aren't). Thanks for looking! Comments are welcome :)

#7 ·
LOL, thanks. The wood is from manzanita.com. They have surprisingly good prices. I'll need to order more since all the wood they sent me is too big (in their defense, I told them I'd be using it on my 47 gallon). I got the tank in Montreal (lived there); it's a Hagen "Waterhome". It leaked on me though, so I resealed it. That's why the silicone is sooo ugly. It was my first time resealing. It's nice that it's rimless though :) You can see the old hood it came with in the first pic.

#8 ·
I was away for 2 weeks, and the plants grew a lot! I wasn't thinking properly though and I didn't take a picture until after a trimmed a few plants and relocated a few others. I always do that... Also, I think I realized that the manzanita pieces are way too long and way too thick for this tank. I may have to order more :frown:

Anyway, here's a picture:

Comments, ideas, and constructive criticisms are always welcome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.