The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So... My buddy went to the Hamburg, PA reptile show and picked up a snake that was sold to him as an Amazon tree boa for $5!!!!!

He brought the snake to my house so I could ID it for him since he had his doubts.. Turns out, I can't.

This can't me a tree boa... If it is, maybe it is something new to the pet trade??

Maybe some kind of vine snake?? Look at the cat eyes though.... No pits either.. He even sits like a tree boa! I have no clue!

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know but look at it's head. I have never seen a tree boa with that head. It's like a shovel... That's waht is stumping me. Not the color, the head. It's really odd..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Definitely not an amazon tree boa (Corallus hortulanus). You'll never see them being offered for five dollars, not even the garden phase.

It looks like a Candoia boa:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CandoiI'tt's

It's wild caught for sure.

I would quarantine it and treat it for internal parasites and keep an eye out for snake mites. It's also most likely not eating rodents. You'll probably have to try lizards, frogs, or scented mice.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Solomon viper boa (Candoia aspera). Quite rare in the trade, and I have yet to hear of captive breeding of these snakes. Very neat! Don't know much about the care though. Sorry.
That's it! Thanks man! He is really cool.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely not an amazon tree boa (Corallus hortulanus). You'll never see them being offered for five dollars, not even the garden phase.

It looks like a Candoia boa:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CandoiI'tt's

It's wild caught for sure.

I would quarantine it and treat it for internal parasites and keep an eye out for snake mites. It's also most likely not eating rodents. You'll probably have to try lizards, frogs, or scented mice.

Good luck
We scented a pinky and he took it. Looks like a went a while without a good meal. I told my buddy, he is going to be a pain to feed.

·
Registered
700 Posts
In my experience, there will occasionally be dealers at reptile shows and expos just trying to make a quick buck, or trying to get rid of an animal they are struggling with by labeling it as a less difficult species.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.