The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I've got two larger amazon swords in my 38g planted tank. Running mid-high LED lighting and pressurized CO2, GH 120-180, KH ~40, pH 7. The leaves on both plants reached above the water surface and now, I believe the plant is transitioning to an emersed growth state. It's sent up two shoots right up out of the water. The issue I'm having is the new leaves, that have started growing above the waters surface, are turning black and dying.

I live in Ohio so, it's pretty cold here. The aquarium is in the basement, which is heated but, the room temp is around ~62F (humidity 30%). My thought is the room is not warm enough. I've placed some extra root tabs (Osmocote DIY) to make sure they have everything they could need. All the other plants in the tank are doing great. I've attached some pictures.

Thanks for the help!

View attachment 700906

View attachment 700914

View attachment 700922

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm in the exact situation and I'm definitely no expert here. It would look great for a tank with suspended lighting but I have hang on lighting. The leaves hit the light. Again I'm no expert, but maybe the leaves can't handle the high light levels, right against the light, in air. My other thought would be humidity like mentioned above... the leaves dry up too much before it has a chance to adapt. Probably a combination of factors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice tank! Love the background

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to breakout the humidifier and see what happens. The two current LED+ lights sit on top of the glass lid so, once the leaves grow above the tank they are kinda on their own, only having the natural day light from the window (it's enough to grow the other house plants I have tho).

I like the emersed. I was never able to get these swords to fill out / not look lengthy immersed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts