The Planted Tank Forum banner

Amazon Sword sick

1939 6
I have a 30 gallon community tank with two Amazon Sword plants that aren't doing so well. They look like the leaves are decomposing from the center out. Also, the new leaves emerge colorless and with a rough surface and rippled edges. They eventually gain color but still retain the wavy edges. They are rooted in a 2 ½” deep gravel bed, fertilized with Seachem root tabs and dosed with Flourish twice weekly. Water params seem fine, 78degF (a little high maybe?), Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate barely measureable. GH/KH is around 53ppm.
Lighting is a T5HO 36” Nova extreme with one 39W TrueLumen Flora tube and one 39W TrueLumen 12,000K White. Lights run 12 hours. Filter is an Eheim Ecco 2236.
All other plants in the tank seem to be doing well. The tank houses mostly tetras, platties,a few dwarf sucker mouth Ottos, two Corys, a small clown Pleco and a large common Pleco,
I’ve heard that the plecos may be causing this damage. If it were just the leaf damage I would be inclined to believe it is the plecos scraping the leaves.
The first photo shows the new leaves, the leaf in the top center of the photo is about three weeks old. The other ones show the decay.
Any ideas??? Also, there isn't any CO2 in the tank as of now.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
The new growth looks like a difficiency, maybe iron?? But the other ones arnt anything to worry about as those are the terrestrial leaves, (they always die and then put out submerged ones) the tem is fine (i grow mine at 83f) do you run carbon in the filter and also the 12000k is really not good for tropical plants, you should replace with a 5000 to 7000k level. Though the common pleco will hurt plants so i would get rid of it soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info on the iron as well as the Terrestial leaves. I never would have thought of the aquatic leaves naturally being different . I've been thinking of adding some laterite to the area where the swords are planted. I ran a carbon pad in the filter for the first three weeks in the Eheim, after I switched from an Emperor 400 HOB.(it was a Nitrate and micro bubble factory) Could the carbon be stripping out the iron from the Flourish root tabs? I was wondering about the 1200K lamp. It's what came with the light from Current.
The pleco is wearing out his welcome, besides the damage he causes, I'm getting tired of replanting from his rampaging about the tank.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah, the carbon will strip a lot of trace nutrients from a tank. And I know how it is with the current lol, I got a 4 bulb version and had to go and buy 4 new bulbs at 20$ each after. I used to keep plecos in my planted tanks and they would just tear around uprooting plants. (go with ottos) As for terrestial leaves, on an amazon sword, anything that is round on a long stalk is terrestial. Long thin ones on shoter stalks are aquatic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.