The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting an XXL amazon sword from aquarium plants for my bare bottom discus tank. I will have it in a pot with miracle grow sticks or something. My question is if the sword will die with my lighting? The tank is a 120 with a finnex monster ray light.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
no it will do fine, the big amazon swords (echinodorus bleheri) do well in any light and are therefore the perfect plant for discus tank. Make sure to use a big planter because if you stunt the root growth, you will stunt the plant size as well. I plant mine in small glass shot glasses sometimes just for this exact reason, to keep them small.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I bought a mother plant (amazon Sword) that was way too large for 75 gal tank.
It was easily two and a half feet in diameter and that tall as well.
Ended up splitting it in two and used half in the 75 gal and the other half in 80 gal.
Agree with large planter,and maybe mixture of soil capped with gravel and some osmocote in bottom of planter.
Doubt that the plant will have been grown submerged,so a fair amount of leaves may be lost as the plant transistion's from emmersed growth to submerged.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
to the op your sword will do find under that PAR, from my experience, swords do fine under any light, just get really big and bushy under high light. GitMoe's sword looks really really good

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
This is plenty of light for a sword, you should get more than one and do a clumping of them in the back right corner. great looking discus, where did you get them??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is plenty of light for a sword, you should get more than one and do a clumping of them in the back right corner. great looking discus, where did you get them??

All from Kenny's discus. Best costumer service ever and his fish are great. So I won't have to Lower the light then from the top of the canopy?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I thought they might be Kenny discus, I recognize that spotted one. no you will not need to move your light.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts