The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setup my first planted tank about a month ago and went with some amazon sword. Plants grow great, almost a leaf a day, now they have brown/yellow tips progressing down the leaves, and read more then once it is an iron deficiency.

In my reading I found:
- This plant is primarily a root feeder.
- This plant feeds mostly from the water column.
lol which is it?!

Here are the current fertilizers:
- Flourish Excel once daily.
- Flourish Comprehensive 2x/week
- Eco-complete substrate.

My question is, do I need to dose a liquid Iron for these on top of having the substrate? Thanks alot plant pros!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know there are some plants that don't do well with excel. (My jungle val didn't like it) I am not sure if swords are effected by it or not but might try backing off of it to maybe every other day and see if it helps. I say this because I am using eco complete, use the same fertilizer and my swords are doing fine. I tried excel for a couple of weeks and my vals growth slowed down. I didn't noticed if my swords were effected by it or not. If that doesn't work try some root tablets. I have heard some people on this forum say that eco complete doesn't have the nutrients that it clams to have. That you need to use root tablets. I haven't had this problem though. The only fertilizer I use is flourish comprehensive 1x week.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Swordplants in general are mainly root feeders. That's why they have such extensive root systems. However, I'm sure that they do take in nutrients from the water as well like all other aquatic plants.

Excel shouldn't really have any effect on swordplants. I dose it in my 46 gallon tank and all my swordplants are doing just fine. My jungle vals are doing well too.

As for the leaves, it could be a deficiency. How much and what type of light do you have over the tank? If your lighting level isn't too high, then you really shouldn't need to dose too many ferts. However, this might be a nitrogen deficiency. If you have a lot of fish and feed them generously (and don't have too many plants) then there's not much of a need to dose nitrogen, but if you don't have a lot of fish and your tank is densely planted then you should dose a bit of it. I'm not too well-versed on deficiencies, but if I remember correctly yellowing leaves is a sign of nitrogen deficiency.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting on the Excel and the nitrogen. Will try cutting back and see what happens, cant go wrong. Not sure I'm short on Nitro, as I have 7x Zebra Danios, 2x Blue Acara about 1.5" and a CAE. I will get pics today or tomorrow after I figure this go-pro out, I too love them! Thx for a good start guys!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Swords have heavy structure, grow fast and can eat up a lot of nutrients. They can do just fine without root tabs if the water is dosed, but I would suggest giving root tabs anyway. This way there will always be plenty of nutrients for them even if the water is leaning out on some particular nutrient. Use tabs that contain macro and micro nutrients.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For lights I have: Dual T5NO with 6700k bulbs and a T8 fixture with a 6700k bulb, staying on for 9 hours.

I was thinking these where nutrient hog plants as well after some more reading. As for as the substrate, I believe the companies claims exceed their actually product. Oh well, noted for next time, because in this hobby, there is always a next time! Thanks all for the help so far!

And for some pics:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.