The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two large Amazon Swords in a 44g planted in opposite corners of the tank. A month or so ago I noticed a tall, thick stalk growing right up the middle of one of the plants. A few weeks later I realized that the stalk was actually coming from the other plant! It sent out a big thick runner about 18" across the bottom of the tank into the center of the other plant, then started to grow vertically. The stalk is now almost to the surface, and has what looks like five miniature swords growing off of it at various heights. What exactly is the plant doing? It kind of reminds me of when my Tiger Lotus sent up flower stalks... will this eventually flower at the surface like a lily? Is it just coincidence that the stalk is growing up in the middle of another plant or is this some kind of plant sex behavior!? How should I handle the stalk? If I leave it alone will the plants break off the stalk Thanks! and root themselves?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have pretty good roots now. If I remove the plants, will the runner die off?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll let it grow for a bit longer then, before I remove the plants. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts