The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Amazon sword with 8 little swords on the inflorescense now. It seems like only the roots are growing - I have one with 4-5" roots but only 1" leaves. Should I pull them off now, or let them develop longer?

(and should I cut the stalk after removing the little ones to promote the parent plants health?)

·
Registered
354 Posts
My experience is that the roots are real long by the time the plantlets get big enough to separate. I always ended up pruning the roots when I separated and planted them. Never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I had two huge Amazon swords, both with over 5 different stalks coming out of them. I just let them go crazy and keep on growing. Every few weeks I would tear out like twenty amazon swords that were 4-8 inches and sell them off. I have pulled them off along the entire spectrum of growth. I even let my Oriental sword grow out plants on the stalk until I had one plantlet (now much bigger) shooting off its own stalk with plantlets. Unless you have an aesthetic reason for clipping them I argue that plants should stay on the stalk, as they tend to do much better growth wise when they remain attached.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.