The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought three Amazon swords 4 days ago and put them in my 29 gallon tank. Woke up the next morning and saw my bn pleco grazing on the leaves so I cut off the bad leaves and moved the plants to my 55 gallon. Two days later I noticed the leaves are wavy like. I use a shop light with two T8 65000k bulb.

Parameters
Ph: 8.2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40 ppm
Ammonia: 0
GH and KH: 140-200 ppm

·
Registered
318 Posts
Is it the new leaves that are wavy? If so, the new submerged growth may look different from the older growth which is often grown emersed.
I've noticed that some of the leaves on my AS are wavy and some are flat. I think that's just how it is. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some odd coloring and the leaves are dying. But even then the plants will lose most of their leaves before starting up Again like a rocket

·
Registered
918 Posts
I keep swords with my bristlenose plecos. They usually aren't too bad about grazing on the leaves, and their smaller size (compared to regular plecos), lessens the damage. Once the sword plant gets some size to it, I seem to notice that the bristlenoses will graze on the outer leaves, and I generally trim those off at some point to keep the plant looking fresh, so it hasn't been a problem. The swords grow so fast that they keep up with any damage the bristlenoses do.

Also, try feeding the bristlenoses a bit more. They love veggies and that will help keep them away from your plants. You can use a veggie clip on the side of the tank with a slice of zucchini, or sink it to the bottom using a small fork stuck into it or a plant weight.

Nordic, that is a shame that you lost two swords to your plecos. Mine have behaved themselves!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the swords in a tank with some bn plecos and they went crazy with the swords. They seem to like the plant more than the veggies I give them. So I had to move them

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
yeah, the bastard chewed the stems right before the leaves, causing the whole rest of the leaf to decay in no time.
Took me a while to see what it was doing. the mouth parts fold right around the stem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.