The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some amazon swords. The tank is low tech. The substrate is Seachem Fluorite. I also dose the various Seachem Flourish, albeit infrequently. Do I need to get root tabs? I read that the Seachem root tabs and the Seachem Flourish are pretty much the same thing, and even the Flourish are often unnecessary for low tech tank.

Thanks for reading. :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You can use rabbit or guinea pig poop pellets as root tabs for free if you know anyone with them. They do help, store tabs or natural.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't use root tabs and my swords have grown over 18" tall. I used carib planting soil mixed with my existing and laterite. A good clay base will feed them plenty of iron, without dealing with tabs and such.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have fluorite also & use fert tabs for my sword (& crypts).

I also dose the seachem line & excel.

My plants seem to do better with fert tabs. My light is only a single t8.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Poor man's root tab:

~1/4 tsp Osmocote plus

Place in ice cube tray and then fill the tray half full with water.

Freeze

Push under substrate during next water change

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I have my swords, among other root feeders, planted in gravel and they do just fine. I only use osmocote+ in gel caps every 2 months or so.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Seriously? Guinea Pig poop? I could SELL that stuff at the rate they poop. Anyone else done this? Any bad side effects?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Never heard of that before. Hope they're being fed all natural food. I would expect any food with all that junk in it would result in crappy poop!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Never heard of that before. Hope they're being fed all natural food. I would expect any food with all that junk in it would result in crappy poop!
I haven't heard of aquarium use before, but I remember reading someplace that rabbit manure (not sure if that's the appropriate term for that critter, but, eh...) is about the only type that can be safely added directly to a garden. Most other animal manure/waste has to be composted/aged, and direct fresh application can burn plant roots.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts