The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have any other ideas how to raise PH besides useing crushed sea shells or any chemicals from seachem or any other companies like seachem?
I got a 10gal custom tank with amazon soil the new stuff I only used some root tabs besides the soil. I only have 2 angel fish an some rili shrimp but my shrimps are dieing from acidic water due to the PH being so low.
Ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates are 20, GH 75, KH day time 0 night time 40, PH 6.2 sorry don't have a test or anything for the TDS.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Are you positive the shrimp is dying because of the low pH?

In short, what are your water parameters? Just to rule other things out.

v3

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
OVT is onto something.

BUT i use Mosura PH UP in my 55g RCS tank. Its cheap and works well.

I also use crushed coral in the same tank. I took panty hose and filled one of the feet sections with about a grown mans fist full. And then put it in the canister filter. It too seems to work well.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
There are many way to bump up pH, some decent, some not so.
I read some of the OP's posts and would like to know what the problem is before we propose a solution.

2 Angels (even if tiny) with shrimp in a 10g also make me pause.

v3

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm assuming the listed GH & KH are in PPM and not degrees? Are you using a liquid test kit or strips? If it's strips, toss them and get a liquid kit.

That said - why on earth is your KH swinging so extremely in a 24 hour period? That much of a hardness shift is dangerous.
I have a liquid test kit too but it's tough for me to get an accurate reading. And I got no idea why KH swings so much this is the first time having any problems like this ( amazon soil crap ). Never again not worth it at all. I broke an got some stuff from kent for brackish or salt water that raises and keeps the PH where u want it. Should I do this or get something else? man I'm done I really don't even wanna keep shrimp no more too many problems.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are many way to bump up pH, some decent, some not so.
I read some of the OP's posts and would like to know what the problem is before we propose a solution.

2 Angels (even if tiny) with shrimp in a 10g also make me pause.

v3
Added params up top.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Use baking soda.
Look up how much to add to get to your target.

v3

·
Registered
568 Posts
It's aquasoil amazonia. If you don't like the fact that it's lowering your pH, take it out and replace it with regular gravel. If not, you're fighting against the amazonia everytime the water parameters change.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's aquasoil amazonia. If you don't like the fact that it's lowering your pH, take it out and replace it with regular gravel. If not, you're fighting against the amazonia everytime the water parameters change.
I used it cuz it's supposed to be this great substrate but now I see its not what it's cracked up to be.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since it's tough for you to read the test kit, I'm doubting the swings are that severe.

Though, a commenter above is right. Stop trying to fight against the substrate. Let it buffers where it buffers and just go with it. You'll be fine.
My shrimps wont tho that's what I was trying to save.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts