The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a vendor review, merely just a general wondering. I've been looking to invest in a Fluval 406 canister filter lately. I order everything from Amazon. Lately they have been on sale for 10-15 dollars less on certain days, then they go back up, and now back down again. yesterday, sunday, they were 199, and the beginning of the week they were 180-something if not cheaper. Today they went down to 184 again. Keep in mind this is a product direct from Amazon, not a third party seller.

Anybody know why this is? Are they just trying to be competitive?

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
I'm not too sure why the price would fluctuate like that, considering it is being sold by Amazon.

However, on another note, you can always use Camelcamelcamel to track the price changes!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Some websites base the price on your browsing behavior. So if you have searched for canister filters before going to amazon, it might show a higher price. Clear your history and cookies from you computer before logging into amazon for a purchase. I have seen this behavior mostly with travel websites and airline ticket prices.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I live off of Amazon and rarely step into any retail store anymore. It's amazing that I am not obese and diabetic since I get everything shipped home. Heck, if they also ship gas and groceries at reasonable prices then I wouldn't mind a little daily finger prick. That was insensitive. Apologies. :D

Anyway, Amazon has implemented its "dynamic pricing" for several years now, wherein Amazon will change its prices based upon some complex algorithm that can include demand, its competitors' prices and your browsing behavior, among others.

If you want the best prices then you will have to be patient and do some leg work. Impulse buying will not get you the best prices. I always add items I like to the cart and wait while I research its price history (e.g. camelcamelcamel), submit lower price requests, take it up with your credit card's price protection, Paribus app, etc.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i spend a lot of money on amazon and do notice that prices goes up and down depending on the day of the week. On the weekend I notice prices goes up a little and the same item goes down on monday and stay that price until the weekend again where it will creep up so I stop buying things on the weekends.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Some websites base the price on your browsing behavior. So if you have searched for canister filters before going to amazon, it might show a higher price. Clear your history and cookies from you computer before logging into amazon for a purchase. I have seen this behavior mostly with travel websites and airline ticket prices.
Yup, if you show interest by visiting the page a few times, the price goes up. It happened to me on some computer parts.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Woah, that's crazy! Good to be aware/cautious of. Now that I think about it, I do recall some purchases I've made that seemed to climb price a bit, although I always thought of it as the fluctuating prices of a buyers market posted by the seller according to supply and demand, and not web browser history checkers.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
This is not a vendor review, merely just a general wondering. I've been looking to invest in a Fluval 406 canister filter lately. I order everything from Amazon. Lately they have been on sale for 10-15 dollars less on certain days, then they go back up, and now back down again. yesterday, sunday, they were 199, and the beginning of the week they were 180-something if not cheaper. Today they went down to 184 again. Keep in mind this is a product direct from Amazon, not a third party seller.

Anybody know why this is? Are they just trying to be competitive?

I too purchase lots of things on Amazon and honestly have not noticed the price fluctuations. Stupid of me to not check. But, lots of things that are supposedly sold direct from amazon do not actually come directly from amazon. I've had quite a few things recently that were listed as coming direct from amazon show up in a box from some third party provider (which is strange, because in the past even those outside providers would somehow ship in an amazon box with their tape and all).

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I too purchase lots of things on Amazon and honestly have not noticed the price fluctuations. Stupid of me to not check. But, lots of things that are supposedly sold direct from amazon do not actually come directly from amazon. I've had quite a few things recently that were listed as coming direct from amazon show up in a box from some third party provider (which is strange, because in the past even those outside providers would somehow ship in an amazon box with their tape and all).
It's called FBA(Fulfillment by Amazon).

Sellers would ship their items to an Amazon warehouse and Amazon can offer free two day shipping to prime members.

Prices set by Amazon can change due to many reasons.

Most of the time, Amazon would price match the lowest price on the buybox. Never heard of Amazon setting prices based on your visits so clearing cookies would do nothing. Prices will go up and down depending on stock, buybox price and many others.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
I usually watch amazon products sold or labeled used. They usually returned or open box and price are cut significantly.

Recently I bought Tunze Aquawind fan Made in Germany for $45 only. They sell around $77. The product has not been used.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yup, if you show interest by visiting the page a few times, the price goes up. It happened to me on some computer parts.
I've noticed that if I put something in my cart and come back the next day (or even a few hours later) to buy it that the price will go up...often by a LOT, depending upon the item. Last time Amazon pulled that crap I spent slightly more to buy from another vendor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.