The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost a year of using a CO2 ladder diffuser, I finally scrapped it because the snails in my tank never allowed the bubbles to consistently travel up the ladder. Plus, the bulbs never got tiny enough. I plan on getting a Hagen Elite mini filter eventually to diffuse my DIY CO2, but I decided to try out the chopstick method in the meantime. Initially, I made a mistake in using a chopstick with square edges. Unfortunately, it didn't work out because large bubbles were coming out even though they were smaller than the bubbles going up the CO2 ladder.

Then, I realized (stupid me) that I needed to use a chopstick with no edges. I did so, and frankly, I'm amazed at how well the chopstick diffuses the CO2. The bubbles are so much smaller, and I noticed that my water wisteria, which I've always struggled with, actually started pearling a little bit. I'm hoping that the improvement in the diffuser will make a difference in my plants.

Anyway, even though the chopstick is only temporary, I may stick with it for a little bit so I can spend money in other areas. What kind of maintenance do I need to do with the chopstick? Do I need to replace it every so often, or can I use the same one for a length of time? Thanks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone care to chime in on how long the chopstick can be used before it will need to be replaced?

·
Registered
711 Posts
replace it when the bubbles become too large. too large is anything over 1mm. i get extremely fine mist, particularly when my diy co2 slows down. i did a search on the diy and equipment threads. a poster suggested to sharpen the stick in a pencil sharpener (i assume the pointed end in the water). another says he uses super glue to seal the cut end, forcing co2 to come out of the side. i'm gonna give the glue thing a try on my next batch of co2.

·
Registered
336 Posts
replace it when the bubbles become too large. too large is anything over 1mm. i get extremely fine mist, particularly when my diy co2 slows down. i did a search on the diy and equipment threads. a poster suggested to sharpen the stick in a pencil sharpener (i assume the pointed end in the water). another says he uses super glue to seal the cut end, forcing co2 to come out of the side. i'm gonna give the glue thing a try on my next batch of co2.
Yes super glue on the end works well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts