The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lucky enough to have two breeding pairs of Angelfish. They are housed in a 40 gallon tank with a see-through tank divider in the middle. Two of my angelfish recently spawned and I ended up with about 200 babies which are alive and well, frenziedly feeding on BBS in a 5 gallon tank. They are about 4 days free swimming, and as always there were a few runts who never ate. Today I took one of the runts (who was guaranteed going to die) and put him back in the parents' tank. I let the parents raise the fry to free swimming, and then turkey bastered them out of the tank, so the fish know what their babies look/smell/taste/whatever like. Immediately the female attacked the runt and ate it, or so it seemed. A minute later she spit it back out and placed it onto the spawning slate, protecting it from the other two angelfish. Amazingly, after 4 days away from the babies she still recognizes them.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
wow ...interesting...
I would love tp see a pic of the free-swimming fry. What type of angles are they?

·
Registered
842 Posts
That's really special that she would take him back... I have seen angels that would raise fry from other parents- IF they had their own fry at the time. You can add in others, but only if they have their own.. what you have there is amazing. She's a good mommy. Next time why don't you let her raise them herself instead of pulling them? I just find it beautiful to watch angels raise their own fry

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just read that angels suck fry into their mouths to clean them. I'm new to angels, so this could be common knowledge, but it sounded pretty cool to me. I have four quarter sized angels in a 29G and there is definitely some pecking order and paring off behavior happening, so perhaps I'll get to see some of this parenting magic, if I'm lucky. Anyone know of good angelfish resources out there? The Wikipedia entry is pretty good, but brief.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my first spawn that I'm raising in almost a year. I still have eight juveniles from these parents that are about 4 inches tall. The angelfish are standard/wild color, and my other pair is gold. I wanted to raise these fry by myself so I could feed them well and ensure a high survival rate. The fish will spawn again in at most two weeks, and then I'll let them raise the babies themselves. They are amazing parents; when this tank was a planted tank with cardinals and rummynoses (and the other angels) the pair defended a clutch of free swimmers for almost a week. I'll take pics tomorrow after the SATs :icon_frow

These pics are from a year ago of the first spawn I raised

The size difference that a week makes is amazing. The big guy is from the standard/wild color parents, the small one from the golds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts