The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.tfhdigital.com/tfh/200911/?sub_id=Bm0EvWGyaDlX7

Amano's monthly article in the Nov '09 issue of TFH talks about growing HC (Cuba pearl grass) in slightly basic conditions. His soil and CO2 break down the calcium carbonate in the syuo-seki rocks used in his iwagumi layout. He doses a liquid potassium supplement and his HC does quite well.

I've never tried HC in basic conditions. It sure melted in my acidic conditions with pressurized CO2 and high light. :icon_idea :icon_ques (myth?)

Also, check out how brightly colored his Asian rummy-noses (Sawbwa resplendens) are in basic water with their red noses and tail tips along with their medium blue bodies.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
In my experience, HC isn't too fussy. Heck, if I can grow it in a five gallon bow front with a 10 watt CFL and inert substrate, then anyone can. The ph of my water is 7.4.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yeah dude looks like it requires a subscription to TFH Online or something. But I agree HC isn't too tough to grow once it takes hold. With the use of the dry start method it's almost impossible to mess up.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
But I agree HC isn't too tough to grow once it takes hold.
That's true with almost any plant. I took some not doing so well Cabomba furcata from my 46 gallon, and threw it into the above-mentioned five gallon. It actually grew quite well.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The link doesn't work for me; I get a "Use Limit Exceeded" link.
You either need the magazine or an online subscription as rrrrramos mentioned.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I can't imagine HC being predisposed to growing in basic conditions. Being that Cuba grows a pile of tobacco in naturally occurring acidic phaeozem soil, and that HC was found near a stream, I would suspect fairly acidic conditions. Unfortunately Windelov was not so kind as to mention exactly WHERE near Las Pozas he first collected HC, a run over with google maps and a little other searching sure shows a ton of iron loaded clay soil on any of the tilled farm land surrounding the area.

This is not to say that HC can not grow in basic conditions, I just find it more likely that it would've adapted its self to more acidic conditions.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
586 Posts
I still thinking HC is hard to grow in the beginning because of the acclimation period...

1st time: bought a pot and separated into 4 portions... 3 melted and 1 survive. But then the 1 that survived still "thriving" right now, not a lot because of light and co2. But it did grow more green leaves and roots

2nd time: bought another pot from the same store, leave the pot in my tank for a week+, did not separate and plant almost the whole pot in the middle.... a tiny little bit of melting... but seems pretty ok so far!! at least not a massive die-off like my 1st try

dry starting seems promising but i never got a chance to try. tom barr knows everything about it~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts