The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was told by some folks that I won't be able to successfully breed Cherry Shrimp in a tank that has Amanos. Reason: Amanos will got through Cherry babies like I go through Swedish Fish (real fast).

I just wanted to know if anyone can comment on the validity of that statement.

Tanks!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have not seen this kind of behavior on my amanos! not sure about the eggs though? I have keep 5 amanos with cherries in a well planted tank & cherries just keeps on multiplying.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I would have to say this is false unless the shrimp are not fed. Even then it would be pretty far fetched.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I think it's bull too....I have tons of amanos in my CRS tank and for awhile there was sp.blue in there that berried like no tomorrow!

guess what now....I have tons of sp.blue shrimpletts in there

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, well, I'm not feeding any of the shrimp as I'm trying to get rid of the Algae attach in my tank. But I don't think it really matters right now, as I don't see any berried cherries.

I'll have to wait and see I suppose. Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Amanos shrimps do practice canabalism if there is a lack of source of food. This is a know fact because Mr Amanos would dump a lot of amanos shrimps into his tanks to handle algae problem in the early stages of his planted tanks. As the algae regress, he would start taking out some of the shrimps because he notice that they start to eat one another. So draw your own conclusion.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
An algae wafer or some boiled spinach can solve the starvation issue fairly quickly. :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Amanos shrimps do practice canabalism if there is a lack of source of food. This is a know fact because Mr Amanos would dump a lot of amanos shrimps into his tanks to handle algae problem in the early stages of his planted tanks. As the algae regress, he would start taking out some of the shrimps because he notice that they start to eat one another. So draw your own conclusion.
i've seen this happened

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.