The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add 20 Amano shrimp to my 75 gallon community tank. The fish in the tank include 12 rainbowfish, pair of angel fish, as well as a number of smaller Rasboras. The question I have is do you think the Amanos could be introduced with out becoming a meal for the rainbows or angels? What do you think?

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
The shrimp I received from ZZ are fine in my tank. I have mostly small fish but I do have a couple adult rainbows. All the shrimp I received were at least as big as an adult RCS if that helps.

Just not sure how aggressively your angels would hunt for them.

SteveU

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a lot of amanos in with some large rainbows, they are ignored completely. Angels might bother them but amanos are pretty big for that. Watch your cleaners/scavengers though, my little Raphael cat loves shrimp.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have about 2 dozen in my 75g community. Biggest fish I have in there are rainbows and they do not harass the shrimp at all. They ate all the cherry shirmp because they were small and stuck out like sore thumbs, but amanos are too big. The amanos are as big if not bigger than my cardinals.

Rasboras are a non-issue as well. I have a school of harlequins and again, most of the shrimp are now bigger than them.

Don't know about angels. Because of the size of the amanos and their ability to blend in with surroundings, I doubt the angels will eat them.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'd say they will be fine. They can usually fend for themselves like no other. I've seen one of my amanos harrass and chase around a gold ram.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
They should be fine. I put amanos in with my adult discus without issue. The amanos were afraid of the discus for a while and stayed by the driftwood and thick plants. My biggest problem was keeping the amanos in the tank, they really wanted to get out when they saw the discus!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I added a handful of amanos to my cichlid tank (6 Geophagus tapajos) and all survived without issue (kinda). The tapajos are 4-7" in size and never bothered the shrimp. Unfortunately, they decided to use my floating plants as a platform to climb out of the tank though.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I attempted to add amanos to my 72 gal a couple times a year or so ago. It was when I had rainbows and angels. They never lasted long term. Sure, adding a dozen at once, when the other fish were distracted by food at the other end, they made it ok down into the plants and such but the point was I almost never saw them and after a few weeks never saw them again.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I would reccomend getting large amanos... Dunno if that is even possible to specify if you aren't buying them off a fellow hobbyist but its worth a shot. They come into the pet shops pretty small but after a year or so they're freaking huge, or at least the females are.

If not maybe try adding them at night?
-Andrew

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yeah, try to pick out larger amanos and introduce them after you've fed your fish if not when the lights are out. I can pretty much guarantee that rainbows will ignore them. I have a couple of rainbows that are huge that can eat smaller amanos if they want, but they don't. Even the smallest ones I've seen/gotten at the LFS were bigger than cherry shrimp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts