The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
around last year I bought 5 "algae eating shrimp" from a lfs. they looked identical to all the pictures of amano shrimp on the web. the man at the store told me that they would breed in freshwater because the man who sold them to the lfs said they would. I didn't think they would until I counted 7 the other night. also the other day the lights went out and the filter with it and this is what I saw:
I let a small flashlight beam into the tank and saw small plankton like creatures which came towards the light. the creatures on closer examination proved to be small small little shrimp. I put them in a jar with some algae but I don't think they lived. how should I grow them the next time they are collected.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If they are surviving in your tank (even if it's just one or two), just leave them in there. It's very difficult to breed Amanos, in fact, I've never heard of them breeding in freshwater.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Could you post a picture of these shrimp so that we could ID the shrimp? I don't believe there is any record of Amano shrimp being able to succesfully breed in freshwater. Your shrimp may be a form of shrimp called the 'Long Armed Shrimp' which are often sold as 'Fresh Water Shrimp' or 'Algae-Eating Shrimp'. But the truth about these shrimp is that they grow quite large and have been know to hunt small fish such as Neons and eat them:icon_surp

So if you could provide a picture, that would be great, and would help us to help you ;)

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
I hear that there is an amano shrimp look alike whose young can survive in freshwater, perhaps that's what you have.
Huy

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I know that some VERY SMALL NUMBER (like no more than 5-10) have successfully bred amano shrimp in FW, it is really luck of the draw and then its only a few that usually make it all the way...

My bet is that you have Ghost shrimp, Their young has a short larval stage and they swim around in the tank, they're a bit trickey to breed as they need LOTS of little stuff to eat like algea, micro oganisms... etc but they will breed in your tank. So that's my bet I know some others here have bred them myself included!

-Andrew

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The true amano breeds in SW. Most surely you have an amano shrimp like shrimp that breeds in FW. They do breed in very little numbers and grow very slowly compared to other shrimp.

-Pedro

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The true amano breeds in SW. Most surely you have an amano shrimp like shrimp that breeds in FW. They do breed in very little numbers and grow very slowly compared to other shrimp.

-Pedro
Do you have any of these "other shrimp"?

I've read people have tried to raise the amano shrimp with high GH and KH but I haven't read of intentional success yet...

-Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts